Re: Converting ext2/ext3 fs to ReiserFS or XFS Journaling File Systems

From: Dave Uhring (daveuhring_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/28/04

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:22:25 -0500

On Fri, 28 May 2004 01:37:51 -0400, Ruby Tuesdays wrote:

> Will the the tools convert the current filesystems live or it will happen
> just after reboot?

You require enough space in a separate partition on your HDD to hold all
the files in the partition which you wish to modify. Copy those files to
the backup partition, execute mkfs.xxx on the original partition, then
move the files back to where they were always taking care to preserve
ownership and permissions.

You also need to install kernel and modules which support your new FS and
set up grup or lilo to boot that kernel.

> In linux installation(e.g Redhat Fedora1), the default filesystems is
> ext2/ext3. Is it possible to create e.g ReiserFS/XFS in the firstplace
> during the installation process or do I have to install the Linux with
> ext2/ext3, then convert to other Journaling Filesystems after I'm done with
> the installation?

No idea about Fedora; AFAIK Red Hat does not support XFS. I do not and
will not use either distro because Red Hat uses a defective compiler and a
heavily modified kernel.

Mandrake-9.2 supports installation using XFS; the default Slackware
filesystem is Reiserfs although I use ext3 at the moment. But SGI did at
one time provide a special ISO image to install Red Hat using XFS.