Re: Converting ext2/ext3 fs to ReiserFS or XFS Journaling File Systems

From: Dave Uhring (daveuhring_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/28/04

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:22:25 -0500

On Fri, 28 May 2004 01:37:51 -0400, Ruby Tuesdays wrote:

> Will the the tools convert the current filesystems live or it will happen
> just after reboot?

You require enough space in a separate partition on your HDD to hold all
the files in the partition which you wish to modify. Copy those files to
the backup partition, execute mkfs.xxx on the original partition, then
move the files back to where they were always taking care to preserve
ownership and permissions.

You also need to install kernel and modules which support your new FS and
set up grup or lilo to boot that kernel.

> In linux installation(e.g Redhat Fedora1), the default filesystems is
> ext2/ext3. Is it possible to create e.g ReiserFS/XFS in the firstplace
> during the installation process or do I have to install the Linux with
> ext2/ext3, then convert to other Journaling Filesystems after I'm done with
> the installation?

No idea about Fedora; AFAIK Red Hat does not support XFS. I do not and
will not use either distro because Red Hat uses a defective compiler and a
heavily modified kernel.

Mandrake-9.2 supports installation using XFS; the default Slackware
filesystem is Reiserfs although I use ext3 at the moment. But SGI did at
one time provide a special ISO image to install Red Hat using XFS.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: interesting drive problem
    ... >>another computer's CD drive or by getting the install files from the ... >>Keep in mind that the file system you select may be an issue. ... I, too, have had issues with Red Hat's partition program, and I ... In the wake of the controversy over Red Hat Fedora, ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Windows on Mac - how to.
    ... No-nonsense instructions for those "in the know". ... A custom slipstreamed CD is required to install XP on a Mac. ... This procedure WILL WIPE YOUR iMAC DISK CLEAN. ... Partition the disk in two using the OSX CD: ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: xp on intel Mac from usb stick?
    ... Would it be possible to run windows xp native from a usb stick? ... A custom slipstreamed CD is required to install XP on a Mac. ... partition managers but if you're feeling adventurous you may ... This procedure WILL WIPE YOUR iMAC DISK CLEAN. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Dual boot problem
    ... The install went smoothly but when the computer restarted it ... went straight into Windows XP and the Grub Bootloader did not appear! ... One produced the same problem) For some reason the Grub bootloader had ... install GRUB on the first track on the partition where I installed ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Reinstallation erases all?
    ... W2 is active on C and only visible in PM and install. ... I'll take a look at Paragon as are in that Boot CD I linked to. ... Active partition status to the partition that it was on before this mess ...