Re: Thanks for the help :O) and a question

From: moma (moma_at_example.net)
Date: 06/17/04

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:45:44 +0200

Dave wrote:
> Hello All,
> I'd just like to say thanks for the help to anyone who helped me with the
> Linspire installation problem. It's up and running :O) all I have to do now
> is get used to using the OS and I'll be happy.
> One more question, if I'm asking in the wrong group please accept my
> apologies, will any programme designed for linux work with Linspire or are
> the programmes specific to the operating systems such as Linspire, Red Hat,
> Mandrake etc? I assume they will because they are from a similar source code
> but I want to make sure. I'm on dial up so I don't want to be downloading a
> huge programme then finding out it won't work on Linspire cos it's designed
> for Mandrake or something.
> Any information gratefully appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards
> Dave

Hello,

I understand that you are not a Linspire Click-&-Run member so you need
to use Debians's apt-get for software download and installments.

Use apt-get to install any (linux) software on your system.
But make sure that "/etc/apt/sources.list" file is set right.
It tells where to download packages and source.
Ref:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html#contents

You can just begin with the default values, but subsequently change the
"/etc/apt/sources.list" so it downloads packages from the best (or
nearest to you?) mirror site.

Ref.
http://www.debian.org/mirror/mirrors_full

--------

Google for "apt-get and Linspire". (www.Google.com/Linux)
Especially this thread gives some answers (see the last posting).
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181621

---------

Check Linspire forum:
https://forum.linspire.com/forum/ubbthreads.php
Search for 'apt-get'

----------

A typical apt-get usage mantra would be:

$ su -

Always update the internal packge index (package list) first. Do it often.
# apt-get update

Install eg. gaim chat
# apt-get install gaim

$ gaim