Re: Thanks for the help :O) and a question

From: moma (moma_at_example.net)
Date: 06/17/04

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:45:44 +0200

Dave wrote:
> Hello All,
> I'd just like to say thanks for the help to anyone who helped me with the
> Linspire installation problem. It's up and running :O) all I have to do now
> is get used to using the OS and I'll be happy.
> One more question, if I'm asking in the wrong group please accept my
> apologies, will any programme designed for linux work with Linspire or are
> the programmes specific to the operating systems such as Linspire, Red Hat,
> Mandrake etc? I assume they will because they are from a similar source code
> but I want to make sure. I'm on dial up so I don't want to be downloading a
> huge programme then finding out it won't work on Linspire cos it's designed
> for Mandrake or something.
> Any information gratefully appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards
> Dave

Hello,

I understand that you are not a Linspire Click-&-Run member so you need
to use Debians's apt-get for software download and installments.

Use apt-get to install any (linux) software on your system.
But make sure that "/etc/apt/sources.list" file is set right.
It tells where to download packages and source.
Ref:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html#contents

You can just begin with the default values, but subsequently change the
"/etc/apt/sources.list" so it downloads packages from the best (or
nearest to you?) mirror site.

Ref.
http://www.debian.org/mirror/mirrors_full

--------

Google for "apt-get and Linspire". (www.Google.com/Linux)
Especially this thread gives some answers (see the last posting).
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181621

---------

Check Linspire forum:
https://forum.linspire.com/forum/ubbthreads.php
Search for 'apt-get'

----------

A typical apt-get usage mantra would be:

$ su -

Always update the internal packge index (package list) first. Do it often.
# apt-get update

Install eg. gaim chat
# apt-get install gaim

$ gaim

# Synaptic is a GUI (Graphical apt-get)
# apt-get install synaptic

Run it
# synaptic

// moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org :: newbie links at the top
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to reinstall without changing anything?
    ... What did the script run under, ... Did you install a bare-bones system ... mkdir /hda1 ... apt-get -qq install x-window-system ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Updates SOLVED!
    ... Putting Synaptic to one side, and after having done the apt-get update, ... problems with the vlc package, ... Then an apt-get install vlc may have printed out some usefull info. ... We've already confirmed that if you originally got vlc from freshrpms, the maintainer should be shown as Matthias Saou, so the packages above should also show him as the maintainer. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Package installation errors
    ... #apt-get upgrade ... You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these: ... The following packages have unmet dependencies: ... Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: What is best Linux flavor for office use?
    ... The next consideration would be ease of install and ongoing support. ... Installation is pretty easy for many of the distros as long as you let ... your responses mentioned ease of RPM-based package management. ... called apt-get to do upgrades and application installs. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Is anyone else having trouble isntalling/upgrading mplayer?
    ... I was using mplayer and the mplayer-plugin for ... Now, when I apt-get install mplayer-686, I get the following: ... The whole problem seems to be the kdebase-audiolibs, because apt-get install libavcodec1 fails because ...
    (Debian-User)