Re: Multiboot partitioning questions

From: P.T. Breuer (ptb_at_oboe.it.uc3m.es)
Date: 06/18/04

Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:49:36 +0200

Mark P <greymat@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Sorry to Douglas. I did feel that these queries were additional to
> the Linux/Windows multiboot FAQ's. I've read 14 different versions of
> how to multiboot, and the only one's which mention of having the two
> OS's on different drives are either LILO or GRUB based, or involve a

What's the difference between having the o/s's physically on different
drives or physically on the same drive? Surely there is no difference
except the name of the partition they are on? I.e. no difference at
all.

> small dedicated boot partition on the first hard drive, neither of
> which I want to do at the moment. Many of them also make reference to
> the 8GB/1024 cylinder limit, one of them even intimating that he/she

None of this is relevant if you are adding linux, since you already
know taht windows can boot from here it is, and linux can boot from
anywhere, if the bios can boot it from there.

> had experienced problems with this even with recent BIOSes. There is
> also much ambiguity in the use of the word "partition", hence my 3rd

What ambiguity? A partition is a partition!

  From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (07Oct99) [foldoc]:

  partition

          1. <storage> A {logical} section of a {disk}. Each partition
          normally has its own {file system}. {Unix} tends to treat
          partitions as though they were separate physical entities.

Peter