Re: o2Micro PCMCIA Controller Not Working in Linux - Gentoo 2004.1 - Kernel 2.6.5 - Likely a driver issue?

From: Michael Meissner (mrmnews_at_the-meissners.org)
Date: 07/05/04

Date: 04 Jul 2004 22:04:40 -0400

Kevin Hall <ziggycpu.at.hotmail.com> writes:

> Here's the situation. I have a HP Ze5400 laptop (impossible to find
> specs on it because it is one of their built-to-order systems). I have
> Gentoo Linux 2004.1 installed with Kernel 2.6.5. The system loadout
> is: Pentium 4-M 3.06GHz processor, 80GB drive, 512MB RAM, DVD+R
> burner, integrated wifi using a Broadcom chipset.
>
> Now, I have muddled through the kernel configuration a number of
> times, tweaking to get things working just so and keeping my kernel
> fairly small. Right now I have sound working (it's an Ali based sound
> card and chipset), I got my Broadcom wireless card working with a
> driver from eMachines.com and the ndis-wrapper, and the system is
> working in full ACPI compliant mode. So basically, it's set to take on
> anything I may want to throw at it.
>
> Except... a PCMCIA card. Now, when I compiled the kernel, I told it to
> compile with PCMCIA bus support and yenta-cardbus compatibility since
> this system is 32-bit cardbus capable. I also added the two intel
> pcmcia drivers listed in the PCMCIA configuration section of the
> kernel configuration.
>
> When I boot with the kernel, though, it says for some reason, CARGMGR
> ERROR - No sockets found, or something like that. I can't stop the
> bootup (don't know how), long enough t get the entire error message
> and I don't see the message listed in dmesg if it should be in there.
> I've tried installing the pcmcia package from sourceforge, but it
> doesn't want to make things work either.
>
> I have a feeling I'm just missing a step in my configuration
> someplace, since, after all, I never told any of these programs what
> type of PCMCIA controller I have (an o2Micro OZ6912 Cardbus
> controller) or which driver to use to operate that slot. I am very
> very new to linux and just want to get my wireless G ethernet card
> working on my PCMCIA slot (the internal wireless on the laptop is only
> 802.11b). Anyone have a good walkthrough on how to get this slot
> working right and then how to ge it to load the appropriate driver for
> my wireless card (I don't have it in front of me right now or I'd post
> the exact model number). It's a Dlink card, I know.
>
> (http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html) is a
> place I have already been and it provided me with little information
> on fixing this problem. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thank you all in advance for your help and time!

For what its worth, on my Winbook J4, I had similar problems, and it seemed to
be related to the order the drivers are loaded or the ports loaded (problem was
if the wireless driver was loaded before the pcmcia drivers). If I wrote an
init script that ran before network/pcmcia scripts, and did a modprobe in the
following order:

        yenta_socket
        pcmcia_core
        ds
        orinoco_pci
        usb-controller
        8139too

Obviously for your system you will have to adjust to your local laptop
(yenta_socket is the basic pcmcia controller, orinoco_pci is my wireless card,
and 8139too is my ethernet).

I also needed to exclude IRQ 9 in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts to get ACPI to work,
and the following declarations that I initially used for a Toshiba Tecra, but
evidently I still need with the J4:

        include port 0x100-0x4ff
        include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff
        include memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff, memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org