Re: Installing Debian over Redhat

From: Andreas Janssen (andreas.janssen_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: 07/05/04

Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:37:28 +0200

Hello

Blacky (<cryptkpr666@hotmail.com>) wrote:

> We just finished spending a whole week downloading the latest Debian
> discs from Debian.org.

If you have enough bandwith to download the cd images, it would have
been a better idea to download disc one or the netinstall iso and
install the rest directly over the net.

> I'm running Win2000 on my main partition and redhat 9 on another
> partitian using ext3 as the file system. I'm using GRUB as my boot
> loader.
>
> What will happen if I install Debian over Redhat? Will it over write
> the redhat bootloader?

First of all, you can't install Debian over RedHat (well, you can, but
you certainly don't want to). What you probably want is to format the
RedHat system partitions (which can be done during the installation of
Debian) and install Debian. During that, the boot loader files in
your /boot directory will be removed, and the space will maybe be
overwritten with new data. You won't be able to use the Grub that is
installed on your system anymore.

> I cannot afford to reinstall Win2000 if it is going to mess up my boot
> record.

If you installed Grub in the MBR, then replace it with lilo when you
install Debian (if you install Debian 3.0, you cannot choose Grub
during installation). There is no need to reinstall Windows for that.

If Grub is installed in some Linux partition, tell the Debian installer
to put lilo in that partition, and everything will be fine.

And you can of course backup your boot sector using dd. But after you
installed Debian the old backup will be useless, except maybe for the
part that contains the partition table, if it is left untouched.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976
http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Dual boot problem
    ... The install went smoothly but when the computer restarted it ... went straight into Windows XP and the Grub Bootloader did not appear! ... One produced the same problem) For some reason the Grub bootloader had ... install GRUB on the first track on the partition where I installed ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade
    ... GRUB stage1. ... The stage1 goes in boot sector of system root partition. ... sda6=/1st SUSE install ... and kernel as defined for selected menu item. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Yast & Grub bootloader different.
    ... My Grub bootup menu is different than the bootloader ... that shows up on the logon screen aat boot time. ... any boot loader for that matter, can only operate on one /boot partition at ... Grub doesn't scour the all hard drives on each install ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Grub, Raid, LVM
    ... During the install each drive is partitioned with a 1MB BIOS ... Boot partition, followed by a RAID partition taking up the rest of the ... When ever I try to boot the system, I'm stuck at the grub rescue ... I've also attempted an identical install, but with a 200MB Raid ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Grub did not install on dual boot machine.
    ... why did you "install" Linux on a FAT16 partition. ... See below re: grub. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)