Re: redimensioning /usr

From: Abdullah Ramazanoglu (ar018_at_yahoo.cm)
Date: 07/08/04

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 03:10:18 +0300

Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:

[snip]

> # swapoff -a
> # umount /usr
> # fdisk (or cfdisk) :
> Take note of exactly on which CHS /usr starts at.
> Delete swap partition
> Delete /usr partititon
> Recreate /usr partition with exactly the same starting CHS
> Recreate swap partition

For the new partition layout be recognized by the kernel you may
need to reboot (into single user) at this point. Your /usr will be
mounted (as a small filesystem in a larger partition) but swap wont
work upon reboot. So after reboot you should again do:

# umount /usr

No need for "swapoff -a" as it shouldn't be working in the first
place.

--
Abdullah        | aramazan@ |
Ramazanoglu     | myrealbox |

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hibernation woes
    ... would go about creating a swap partition on this Operating System. ... swapon -a" should give you a swap partition. ... Hopefully, as a pastor, you have ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: adding an extra hard disk and adding space to /usr
    ... ADD this new disk onto the already existing /usr partition. ... I am no expert on freebsd, but in my opinion tar is a good choice. ... Comment out your existing SWAP partition in /etc/fstab. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: hard drive size on a RAID1 array
    ... They are partitioned into two: a 20gb partition and a 480gb partition ... A swap partition is a partition too, ... The first and simplest thing would be that you've created a filesystem of ... my experiences with software RAID are highly limited - I've ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Installation
    ... It fits the recommendation of the swap partition being about twice the ... The average Newbie has an average box. ... Can I make a partition that goes over all my hard drives? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: adding an extra hard disk and adding space to /usr
    ... ADD this new disk onto the already existing /usr partition. ... the safest way is to copy /usr to /mnt is via the ... Comment out your existing SWAP partition in /etc/fstab. ...
    (freebsd-stable)