Re: Help: HomePNA and Knoppix

From: e7 (see_website_for_email_at_www.ecu.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 07/13/04

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:12:54 GMT

Pace wrote:

> Hi, apologies as I've just discovered Knoppix so bear with me
>
> I'm currently running on a Linksys HPN200 HomePNA 2.0 network.
> I've already downloaded Linksys beta linux drivers and compiled them
> successfully:
> make linuxver=2.4.26
>
> However when I try insmod -f il.o , I get:
>
> root@ttyp1[iL_hybrid]# insmod -f il.o
> il.o: init_module: No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
> You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmes
>
> lspci says it detected my card:
>
> 0000:00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc (nee Epigram) BCM4210
> iLine10 HomePNA 2.0 (rev 01)
> Subsystem: Linksys: Unknown device 0480
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 9
> Memory at c8800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]
> Capabilities: <available only to root>
>
> Interestingly, it installs fine on my other computer.
> Can anyone shed light on this problem?
> Do I have to rearrange or remove some of my PCI cards?
> Thanks alot.

"Capabilities: <available only to root>" may mean
you specifically have to be logged in as root
to do what you are doing.
On Knoppix I remember that was a weird procedure.
The help files are somewhere in the knoppix web site.
Also remember the LiveCD can't be written to - thus
you may have to do a full install before these kinds
of things work.