MySql remote connectiion / access host problem.

From: MS (matthews_at_mailsnare.---nojunktakeout---.net)
Date: 07/14/04

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:14:25 GMT

Hi,

I have a connecting problem with a MySql server running on Redhat Linux.

Linux Kernel version: 2.4.21-15.ELsmp
MySQL version: 4.0.20-standard

The MySql server is running on a 'shared host' with the server company
(Dataflame) that hosts my domain and I have cPanel access.

I cannot connect to my MySql server using client software despite
assurances by Dataflame that I should be able to do so.

They told me the problem could be that I hadn't added my IP address to the
'Access Host' list, which I have done. The access hosts I've added are (in
addition to 'localhost' which was already there):

The IP address (of the remote machine that I'm using to connect to the
MySql server which is the first of the ones below, although I replaced the
last 2 numbers here with xx):

Added Host 82.35.xx.xx to the access list.
Added Host % to the access list.
Added Host %.%.%.% to the access list.

I'm not sure which of the 2 wildcard attempts to 'allow any IP address'
access is correct using the % (percent sign) wildcard. Should both work,
or have I got these wrong?

The MySql server works fine for 'localhost' but when I try remote access I
get error messages like:

"ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server. Error 10060"

When I open a telnet connection to the server's IP address on the MySql
port of 3306 I get NO RESPONSE from the server resulting in telnet giving
me this failure message 'Could not open a connection to host on port 3306
: Connect failed'. However if I open a telnet connection using port 80
(HTTP), port 110 (POP) and port 25 (SMTP) I get the expected sucessful
connection and correct response from the servers on all 3 of these ports.

Shouldn't port 3306 give me some kind of response? What does this suggest
to you?

I must admit I am now perplexed.

Please help. Thanks and regards,

Matthew