Setup for development

From: atlantic (j_at_no-spam.net)
Date: 07/22/04

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 05:39:57 GMT

After two variously successful setups on a development machine, I'm
wondering --
Is the best way to setup a box for web,mysql,php development to install from
the iso's without httpd, mysql, php and then tarball them onto the system
once the 'core' is setup?
In going back into a 'full blown' install, I find it to be confusing to have
to manipulate not only the main packages, but all the dependencies as well.
It seems as though yum and up2date work fine for keeping the core system
updated, but the add-ons get pretty muddied up when you need to add a single
option. (I had to add xml/xsl support after the fact and wound up having to
strip httpd,php,mysql,xml,xsl,iconv,etc,etc,etc from the machine and then
try and source them all back in). The php configure never did work right
again afterwards, and I seriously broke the httpd setup in the process.
I realize that being somewhat new at this adds to the confusion, but I've
read about 10 different ways to configure, make, and install these packages
together - and they all claim to be "the best". I don't have a problem with
manually setting these up, but it seems that doing it 'after the fact' of a
full install from iso's is not the way to go.

Any input is appreciated.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows Installer does not install any files
    ... I am trying to install a VS2005 Windows Forms .Net project on a 64-bit Windows Server using Setup2.msi Setup.exe generated by Setup and Deployment project for a 64-bit operating system. ... The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.setup)
  • Re: Continual Error 1321 Trying to Install Office 2003
    ... As to evidence of which app installed wisptis, I suppose you'd have to set ... 2003 sure wants to install it and stalls when it can't because the progress ... Is there any way in the world to get into setup with some custom tool from ... *My Lack of MSFT Support Rant and View Hex Error Messages Do Nothing for the ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Continual Error 1321 Trying to Install Office 2003
    ... it needs and now setup wants to stuff it back in. ... Wisptis is explained ... that will let me do a detailed enough or selective enough custom install to ... people running Office don't use a tablet. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: reinstall intranet company web Error.
    ... AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks ... KB832880 Setup encountered an error: Setup cannot continue because one or ... Setup cannot continue because one or more pre-requisites required to install ... For More details check the Log File C:\WINDOWS\KB832880.log ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: reinstall intranet company web Error.
    ... AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks ... KB832880 Setup encountered an error: Setup cannot continue because one or ... more pre-requisites required to install KB832880 failed. ... For More details check the Log File ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)