Re: resize causes a boot to grub prompt

From: Beemer Biker (antispam_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: 08/26/04

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:56:58 -0500

"P Gentry" <rdgentry1@cablelynx.com> wrote in message
news:facb01db.0408260732.39dc1cd9@posting.google.com...
> "Beemer Biker" <antispam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:<10imim7q0fr0k67@corp.supernews.com>...
<snip>

Thanks for the references below, I usually get as far as "man xxxx" and
anything beyond that and not found by google is an incantation AFAICT.

It appears my problems it that the disk I am duping the image on is a SCSI
and the system on the "acronis backup image" was built before the SCSI
controller was added. I edited /etc/modules.conf and added "alias
scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx" but it seems there is more to it then that. I see
the aix7 drivers in lib/modules... but it still fails to boot. I did go to
the acronis forum and posted much this same question and got no response
yet. I tried the latest version of true image (8.0) and saw a warning that
what I was about to do would require that I have a linux boot diskette
ready. It gave (acronis true image 8) instructions on working with lilo,
but not with grub. In any event I suspect the problem is the scsi
controller being used to boot a linux image that was built with no
controller present.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/GNU-Linux.html#GNU%2fLinux

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Command-line-and-menu-entry-commands.html#Command-line%20and%20menu%20entry%20commands

> hth,
> prg
> email above disabled

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 5.0.7 Install Problem
    ... > controller ... > properly from the IDE CD/RW after booting from the boot floppy. ... > whether or not the SCSI BIOS is disabled, and whether or not the SCSI HD ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • RH8 install with AAA-131 adapter
    ... I can install Psyche with this controller, ... install treats it like a normal SCSI adapter. ... system tries to boot, the controller can't find the boot block. ... with SCSI hot swap drives, but, with that AAA-131 controller. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • RH8 install with AAA-131 adapter
    ... I can install Psyche with this controller, ... install treats it like a normal SCSI adapter. ... system tries to boot, the controller can't find the boot block. ... with SCSI hot swap drives, but, with that AAA-131 controller. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • RH8 install with AAA-131 adapter
    ... I can install Psyche with this controller, ... install treats it like a normal SCSI adapter. ... system tries to boot, the controller can't find the boot block. ... with SCSI hot swap drives, but, with that AAA-131 controller. ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • RE: XP Pro boot hanging
    ... using Acronis True Image 11, boot disk. ... Neither drive will boot into Windows. ... I checked drives ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)