Re: Hmmm...how to see Windows from LInux?

From: Paul Lutus (nospam_at_nosite.zzz)
Date: 08/27/04

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:54:02 -0700

David Hill wrote:

> I'm relatively new to Linux and am trying to install it on my IBM
> Thinkpad.
>
> It came with a 50 GB harddrive, with WinXP installed. I shrunk (with
> part. magic) the partition to 25 GB. I then installed SUSE, and the
> installation automatically found the free space and things were great.
> From the Linux side, I could see the Win partition (C drive).
>
> I then, from within Windows, resized the Windows partition down to 12
> GB. I created a partition on the remaining 13 GB (called it the E
> drive) solely for data. Both E and C are NTFS.
>
> Problem? From Linux, I can see only C, and not E.
>
> Is there an easy fix to this,

If the partitions are actually as you have described them, it is a simple
matter of correctly identifying the NTFS partitions in your Linux
configuration.

google "ntfs partition linux"

> or do I have to reinstall Linux since
> splitting the Windows partition in two?

There should be no reason to do this.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)
    ... >> The Linux boot floppy is a bit more tricky. ... So I tried adding cfdisk to a spare Debian Woody boot ... > I reduced all the partition sizes by a third. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Linux, XP, Win2003 Server multi-boot
    ... Go to PC magazine's web site and do a search on "partitioning for linux" to see articles and reviews about partitioning philosophy and tools. ... Tools are now available in many bootable CD based Linux distributions to resize the C: partition of your disk drive to make room for Linux. ... I finally got the new machine - it came with one of those 'recovery' disks - and a 5 gig recovery partition that isn't supposed to be deleted. ... Once I feel I have everything in order - always lose something when I get a new computer - I'll format that disk and install Linux & Win2003 on it I guess. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Linux Windows dual boot not restoring properly
    ... Linux is showing the Windows folders in its file manager under the name of what effectively was drive C. ... decreases that Windows partition size in order to make a partition ... And at startup, can scan the hard drives, for partition types it ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Panasonic HD Recorders - What disk format?
    ... The earlier part of this is more about what may be Linux partitioning, ... might be possible to present the recorder with a larger disk already ... Most DOS/Windows utilities such as FDisk, Ghost, and Partition Magic Pro ... prompts to format it. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Disc Partitioning for Multi-Boot (long)
    ... We need to get the data off of the NTFS partition. ... But the next question is how to partition the drive so Windows and Linux ... The fdisk supplied with Windows 98 cannot manage that disc. ... How shall I make a multi-boot system out of that machine, ...
    (Fedora)