Re: grub.conf has disappeared -- FC2 / WinXP-SP2

From: Paul Lutus (nospam_at_nosite.zzz)
Date: 09/11/04

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:54:55 -0700

L. Mark Bruffey wrote:

[ text rearranged to conform to Usenet convemtions. Do not top-post. ]

>> > Anyone give a pointer please?
>>
>> Here's my "pointer": stop logging on as root as though that were a normal
>> logon. Had you taken this advice, you would have the grub subdirectory
>> and grub.conf.

> Well buddy, I'm rarely online and this machine sits at home, so why
> would I care about root?

This conveniently omits mention of the fact that the problem you face has
been caused by your being logged on as root.

> In my readings root has been emphasized as a
> security issue. I don't have a security issue.

You most certainly do. You just lost your grub directory. How insecure is
that?

> Root has worked for
> many months and I have edited grub many times in the past and it has
> always been there for me.

Can I ask how long this speech will be? When do you mention that you just
erased some critical system files by being logged on as root?

> Therefore, what would lead me to suspect
> that root has anything to do with /etc/grub?

Careful reading of all the cautions about not being root for more than a few
seconds?

> Is there anyone knowledgeable enough to offer a solution out there?

Great. You logged on as root, erased your system's entire configuration,
were told this happend because you logged on as root, now you think it
makes sense to defend having been logged on as root.

You got your "knowledgeable solution." You just refuse to listen to it.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com