Re: grub.conf has disappeared -- FC2 / WinXP-SP2

From: Paul Lutus (nospam_at_nosite.zzz)
Date: 09/11/04

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:54:55 -0700

L. Mark Bruffey wrote:

[ text rearranged to conform to Usenet convemtions. Do not top-post. ]

>> > Anyone give a pointer please?
>>
>> Here's my "pointer": stop logging on as root as though that were a normal
>> logon. Had you taken this advice, you would have the grub subdirectory
>> and grub.conf.

> Well buddy, I'm rarely online and this machine sits at home, so why
> would I care about root?

This conveniently omits mention of the fact that the problem you face has
been caused by your being logged on as root.

> In my readings root has been emphasized as a
> security issue. I don't have a security issue.

You most certainly do. You just lost your grub directory. How insecure is
that?

> Root has worked for
> many months and I have edited grub many times in the past and it has
> always been there for me.

Can I ask how long this speech will be? When do you mention that you just
erased some critical system files by being logged on as root?

> Therefore, what would lead me to suspect
> that root has anything to do with /etc/grub?

Careful reading of all the cautions about not being root for more than a few
seconds?

> Is there anyone knowledgeable enough to offer a solution out there?

Great. You logged on as root, erased your system's entire configuration,
were told this happend because you logged on as root, now you think it
makes sense to defend having been logged on as root.

You got your "knowledgeable solution." You just refuse to listen to it.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Grub Manual ... Solved
    ... definition of a root directory has been tested and it is right. ... It is doable but the stuff in info grub is not ... defines the drive and partition number on that drive where grub can find its ... that ones broken too basis, currently running 2.6.23 (no sata drives here, so ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [ squeeze ] Grub2 RAID1 LVM2 boot failure
    ... There isn't an "insmod lvm" within the menuentry stanza. ... The UUID can be confirmed at the grub propmt issuing ... The `set root' entry says what is *root* for grub, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] How to get the correct entries in Grub (legacy)?
    ... root ... title openSUSE default kernel with neither KDM nor resume ... This form makes it easier at each boot for you to edit on the fly should you wish or need to without having to fall back to a grub prompt. ... Actually YaST created this for Grub Legacy, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: quad boot w98, w2k, suse, slax?
    ... The second one needs to be run as root, unless the user calling it is a ... The first on will tell you which partitions are mounted, ... that is the partition with the unknown Linux. ... Knowing where the unknown Linux is, we can then add it to grub. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: grub setup is driving me crazy
    ... > I really have tried so many things to be able to boot from the grub SuSE ... I had been getting a start up and then 'kernel panic'. ... # note this root is for grub's root ... # For booting GNU/Linux ...
    (Debian-User)