Re: /usr/local/bin?

From: Rolf Arne Schulze (news_at_ronningveien.net)
Date: 09/24/04

    Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:02:45 +0000 (UTC)

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 04:29:24 +0200, Alexander Adam wrote:
    > hi!
    >
    > I've sucessfully compiled and installed cvs source into /usr/local/bin
    >
    > Now I was expecting the bash shell to know the 'cvs' command but it doesn't.
    > Even when I am in the /usr/local/bin dir I am unable to run the cvs command
    > but its there so what's wrong?
    > Sorry for the maybe stupid question but I'm pretty new to unix/linux and
    > would appreciate any help on that!

    Sounds like you do not have /usr/local/bin in your path. Try to type
    ./cvs when you are in the /usr/local/bin dir. In unix/linux it does
    not help to be in the directory where the command is if you do not
    have it in your path. when you type ./cvs, the ./ tells the command
    preprocessor to look for the command in the current directory.

    To check if you have /usr/local/bin in your path, you can type "echo
    $PATH" on your command line. If you do not have it in your path, you
    need to tell us which shell you are using. To find this out, type
    "echo $SHELL".

    --
    Rolf Arne Schulze
    Trans-atlantic weightloss challenge: http://tawlc.net/

    • Re: /usr/local/bin?
      ... > Now I was expecting the bash shell to know the 'cvs' command but it doesn't. ...
      (comp.unix.admin)
    • Re: Starting background process in ssh session
      ... nohup $command ... bash shell do this: ... #exit the subshell ... > to have to kill the ssh process on my end to terminate the connection. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: /usr/local/bin?
      ... ]Now I was expecting the bash shell to know the 'cvs' command but it doesn't. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: how to put something permanent into PATH?
      ... In case you want to change PATH for all users with the bash shell create ... In a slightly more complicated version of the above command you can check ... directories installing and configuring the Modules package (zypper ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: /usr/local/bin?