Question on installing a bootloader

From: Bob Coates (bob_at_g4dih.remove_to_reply.co.uk)
Date: 09/30/04

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:47:34 +0100

I have the need to clone a load of HD's, not all the same size. The problem
I have is installing a bootloader on the disk, either LILO or GRUB, when the
disk I'm installing it to isn't the primary master (hda).

The disk is connected as secondary master (hdc) with the machine booting off
a working system disk (hda).
I want to install the bootloader onto hdc, such that when I then connect it
as hda, it will boot.
I can't get either LILO or GRUB to work, GRUB it seems will try and find
stage2 on hdc, which isn't there. LILO I think I'm building the lilo.conf
file correctly but when I boot I just get 'LI' and it hangs.

Anybody done this before and can help? I've googled away but found nothing.

Bob Coates

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Slow boot after installing SP2
    ... >>tons of disk space. ... the time it takes his PC to get to the desktop *after* installing SP2. ... If the only change in his system was the installation of SP2, ... > Have you gone through the startup listand disabled the ones you do not ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: XP Install Problem?
    ... Did a Seagate HD test from a bootable disk and when I did a long test it ... in setup but this computers setup did not have that option. ... I even tried installing an old copy of ME but when it started ... installing it it asked me BOOT SECTOR WRITE!! ...
  • [SLE] raid test failure of hda
    ... After succesfully installing a raid1 (with disk hda and hdc) and lvm, ... Disk hdc is bootable, ... ...
    (SuSE)
  • Dual G5 Leopard freeze/hang
    ... And the flakiness continues in Leopard even after I ... It turned out to be my Sonnet SATA 4+4 controller ... I then went through a long sequence of installing and uninstalling ... Eventually I realized that any disk (well, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Cannot run my antispyware or antivirus program
    ... access to the disk and/or operating system hasn't been altered such ... mal-ware used to gain control of your system in the first place. ... You use a separate operating system to avoid being had by an alteration ... installing a "helper" tool they found on some website to give them an ...
    (alt.computer.security)