Question on installing a bootloader

From: Bob Coates (bob_at_g4dih.remove_to_reply.co.uk)
Date: 09/30/04

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:47:34 +0100

I have the need to clone a load of HD's, not all the same size. The problem
I have is installing a bootloader on the disk, either LILO or GRUB, when the
disk I'm installing it to isn't the primary master (hda).

The disk is connected as secondary master (hdc) with the machine booting off
a working system disk (hda).
I want to install the bootloader onto hdc, such that when I then connect it
as hda, it will boot.
I can't get either LILO or GRUB to work, GRUB it seems will try and find
stage2 on hdc, which isn't there. LILO I think I'm building the lilo.conf
file correctly but when I boot I just get 'LI' and it hangs.

Anybody done this before and can help? I've googled away but found nothing.

Bob Coates