Re: Grub: can grub execute a script/batch file?

From: Sean Cleary (seanearlyaug_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 10/07/04

Date: 7 Oct 2004 07:06:49 -0700

Paul Lutus <nospam@nosite.zzz> wrote in message news:<10m99tkkhg2n7d0@corp.supernews.com>...
> Sean Cleary wrote:
>
> > Grub: can grub execute a script/batch file?
> > Can grub execute a shell command?
> > Since Grub is likely to be part of the source code, can I enhance it
> > so that it can do either one of these?
> > I need Grub to copy a file over another.
>
> Explain what you want to do. You almost certainly do not need to do it with
> Grub.

This is a follow on question from the thread before.
I want to copy a file (grub.0 or grub.1) into grub.conf upon using
Grub. The object of this is to change the subsequent grub.conf to the
file that contains the default choice that is a match for the choice
chosen. Example: if grub.0 contains the default=0 line and this
corresponds to Linux, when I chose Linux I want this file copied to
Grub.conf. And when I chose DOS I want the grub.1 file containing the
line default=1 (and other lines of the grub.conf file) to be copied
over the Grub.conf file. As I said in the other thread, if this was
DOS and autoexec.bat/config.sys, this would be a way to do this.
Likewise, if a direct copy can not be done, doing a script or shell
command file may be able to be done. The major problem I would face is
that there is not a shell at the time that Grub runs.

Sean