gnome orbit tcp/ip error

From: John (twohandsfree_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 10/21/04

Date: 20 Oct 2004 16:58:40 -0700

When attempting to run certain gnome applications under KDE, I get an
error message sort of like - cannot find or save configurations, might
be because tcp/ip is not enabled for orbit, or you have locked nfs
blocks due to a system crash ....

Gnome won't even start.

Not sure what I did. On another install of this Slackware 10 distro I
don't get this error.

Since I was recently fiddling with the network (trying to get it
going) I thought I may have broken a link somehow used by the orbit
server and now it can't store or locate state or configuration
files????

If this seems reasonable, how to I check this? I don't even know what
orbit is or where it's configuration files are located - but it sounds
like it's trying to find a machine name which I renamed or changed the
IP address during my fiddling????