Re: Beginning Linux?

From: jafar (jafar_at_fatcat.delicats.net)
Date: 10/27/04

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:29:13 +0000

I demand that on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:34:56 -0400, Jean-David Beyer may or
may not have written:

> In UNIX and Linux is a command, _man_, that will print you the manual page
> of any command you might wish to run. Trouble is you must know the name of
> the command to use it.
>
> man man
>
> will give you the manual page for the _man_ command.

And try typing

man woman

for little humour ;)

> If you want to use GUI interface to Linux, you should probably have 192 to
> 256 Megabytes of RAM (or more) to do it. I know you can get by with a lot
> less if you do not want to use the GUI interfaces, but I never tried it.

I have a Gentoo installed PII 366 laptop with 128Mb RAM that happily runs
the Gnome desktop. If you are using a distribution that is more demanding
on resources like Mandrake or Suse, you would be better off running
fluxbox or windowmaker as a GUI if you only have 128mb.

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623