Re: Beginning Linux?

From: jafar (jafar_at_fatcat.delicats.net)
Date: 10/27/04

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:29:13 +0000

I demand that on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:34:56 -0400, Jean-David Beyer may or
may not have written:

> In UNIX and Linux is a command, _man_, that will print you the manual page
> of any command you might wish to run. Trouble is you must know the name of
> the command to use it.
>
> man man
>
> will give you the manual page for the _man_ command.

And try typing

man woman

for little humour ;)

> If you want to use GUI interface to Linux, you should probably have 192 to
> 256 Megabytes of RAM (or more) to do it. I know you can get by with a lot
> less if you do not want to use the GUI interfaces, but I never tried it.

I have a Gentoo installed PII 366 laptop with 128Mb RAM that happily runs
the Gnome desktop. If you are using a distribution that is more demanding
on resources like Mandrake or Suse, you would be better off running
fluxbox or windowmaker as a GUI if you only have 128mb.

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Behind the Times? (was Re: Conventions)
    ... >unless you made all GUI interfaces instantly lethal. ... No command line was EVER as ... >easy to use as my Atari ST, my Mac, or even, gods forbid, WinBlows. ... What the hell stupid kind of arrangement ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Behind the Times? (was Re: Conventions)
    ... >>unless you made all GUI interfaces instantly lethal. ... No command line was EVER as ... >>I'd rather use a Windows 95 box than a command line. ... What the hell stupid kind of arrangement ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Behind the Times? (was Re: Conventions)
    ... >in all the seven hells of space you'd get me back to a command line ... >unless you made all GUI interfaces instantly lethal. ... It's a matter of ease of use. ... No command line was EVER as ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • ld.so.1: fatal ImportError: ld.so.1 No such file or directory
    ... you've GOT to finnd the missing file! ... This command above should go in your rc file, eg, ~/.tcshrc, ~/.cshrc, ... If you are still having trouble, ... try section-3 below, but then you're on your own. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: [SLE] Please Help ! gtk fonts -Solved !!
    ... found out that I did not have gnome-control-center installed. ... To all who advised me it would be in Control Center; ... gnome-control-center must be run from the command line. ... There is not a word anywhere from SuSE about these things and their ...
    (SuSE)