Re: installation problems for multiple windows OS and Linux on same machine

From: jimbo (jimbo62_at_spamex.com)
Date: 11/16/04

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:16:41 -0800

Matt wrote:
> My goal is to have Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Linux 9 on the same
> machine. Initially, I already have Windows 2000 and Windows XP installed,
> and every time the machine boots, it launch OS choices menu and everything
> was fine. However, after I installed Linux 9, OS choices menu has
> changed and it only shows Linux and DOS in the menu, I think that is the
> OS choices menu from Linux. When I click DOS, it will launch Windows 2000,
> and I couldn't select Windows XP anymore. Windows XP is still in the
> computer,
> but it just doesn't show in OS choices menu anymore. 3 different OS
> are located in 3 separated partitions. It should be 1 OS per partition?
> Both Windows 2000 and Linux 9 are installed as primary partition, and
> Windows XP is installed as
> logical partition. Does physical or logical partition matters on the
> OS booting selection?
>

> Any ideas? Any workarounds to this problem?
>
> Please advise. Thanks!!

I have a system with Win98, WinXP and Mepis. When I boot, I get a Linux
(lilo) menu that gives me a choice of Mepis or Windows. If I select
Windows, I get the WinXP boot menu that gives me a choice of Win98 or WinXP.

My system was dual boot before I installed Linux. Win98 on "C"
partition, first drive, WinXP on "D" partition on second drive. I used
Partition Magic to create a Linux partition on the first drive following
"C" partition. When I installed Mepis, I installed Lilo to the first
drive MBR.

Good luck, jimbo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Removing Windows from Dual Boot
    ... remove Windows XP and make it a 100% linux laptop. ... I find many tutorials showing how to uninstall Linux from the second ... partition and return the machine back to the original XP ... After a test boot that shows only linux as boot options in the grub ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: New to Linux
    ... > Since I have a large hard drive, I will probably repartition and give Windows ... Not only is it very doable to tri boot, ... linux partitions. ... About that boot partition, it's just another small linux partition with ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Removing Windows from Dual Boot
    ... remove Windows XP and make it a 100% linux laptop. ... I find many tutorials showing how to uninstall Linux from the second ... partition and return the machine back to the original XP ... After a test boot that shows only linux as boot options in the grub ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Getting rid of Lilo.
    ... Make /hda2 the boot partition via cfdisk. ... boot Linux via floppy and make /hda1 the boot partition via cfdisk. ... Here is my Windows boot.ini: ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: FW: FW: [SLE] Urgent! Need help!
    ... >> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System ... >>As you told earlier, you should have only one Linux partition, so it ... >>You have found the partition you was looking for!. ... > title windows ...
    (SuSE)