Re: Dialup problems (random disconnect

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 11/22/04

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:24:44 -0600

In article <cnrlun$4qq$1@coranto.ucs.mun.ca>, David House wrote:

>I've been having a lot of problems with my dial up modem disconnecting
>at random. I am dual booting between Fedora Core 2 and Windows XP Pro.
>The modem connects with no problems what so ever in Windows to both the
>MUN and CS Dialup pools. However, I get completely random disconnects
>within Linux.

No where near enough information. Have you checked with other Linux users
at the university? I know there are a number of people using Linux there,
and having no trouble with the CS pool.

>I'm using the slmodemd driver demon (I think that's what you would call it)

Is that something for a winmodem?

>and Kppp with the following pppd option's:
>
>user username
>crtscts
>defaultroute
>modem
>asyncmap 0

That last one has been the default for pppd since 2.3.6, and you should not
need to specify it.

>I have also had to manually input DNS server addresses.

Doesn't the MUN servers accept the 'usepeerdns' option to pppd? Whatever.

>When I dial up and loose connection, it seems as though the remote
>server just decides to ignore my connection. The problem will persist
>and I will have to log back in again. This doesn't happen in Windows,
>would anyone be able to help?

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

That page will show you how to set up a manual connection, AND how to set
up debugging (debug keyword and settings in /etc/syslog.conf). Also, look
at your modem manual, and see that you are using the correct init-string
(most 'helper' programs use modem init strings pulled out of their a$$,
and meaningless to most modems). While reading the modem manual, also see
if it can report "call diagnostics" AFTER the call. Make sure you do not
reset the modem between the call, and sending the call diagnostics command.

        Old guy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Bye- bye for another couple of years.
    ... > modem or route changes its IP. ... > There are many times with Windows that deleting the Internet Temp files ... under Suse 8.2 NONE of my peripherals apart from the monitor worked ... programmer has a Linux software equivalent but I would probably have ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: More about getting an address book to dial the phone.
    ... >>I have installed kppp, and am trying to get it to dial the phone. ... when I see Windows on my neighbor's machine. ... >>a modem, it better ask me which one. ... And Linux is only suitable for most people. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: CPU power consumption: Atom N470 vs. ARM?
    ... If it's got Win-7 installed, how would you set-aside a few GB for linux, ... I need a Win XP..7 to drive a wireless modem, but I want to use linux ... If Windows & is installed look for its own ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: More OT, hooking computers together
    ... It has been a long time since I've used a modem ... >try various distros of Linux and have been ... net through your Windows box, ... but a networking routing problem. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: DSL not recognizing the modem...what else is new?
    ... ago) under Windows 2000 on this old Pentium II with limited RAM. ... I configured the modem using the Damn Small Linux Control Panel, ... *why* would he need to x-post to a Linux advocacy group so his ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)