Re: Best distro of Linux for lame hardware?

From: mjt (mjtobler_at_removethis_mail.ru)
Date: 11/26/04

    Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:42:45 -0600

    thundercleets@ no_spam_here yahoo.com wrote:

    > Is there a distro out there that will work at an acceptable speed in
    > Xwindows on this kind of hardware?
    >
    > Pentium 166 mmx
    > 96 MB RAM
    > 6 GB drive

    ... almost any distro, as long as you use a
    lightweight window manager (icewm) and
    lightweight applications.

    read this article: "The Ultimate (but Small) Linux Box!"

    <<   http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/   >>
    After a number of decimal places, nobody gives a damn.

    • Re: fastest linux distro
      ... First, add more RAM ... Use only a lightweight window manager ... competitions, install Slackware if you can handle it, or VectorLinux if ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Linux for old PCs
      ... I prefer IceWM among the choices for a lightweight window manager, ... IceWM is quite standard for Mandrake/Mandriva. ... KDE & Gnome on my system is that they require too much RAM. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: best distro for older hardware?
      ... distro--but you'd definitely up your ram to at least 128mb and perhaps run ... a lightweight window manager. ... priority as well though I've seen KDE 3.2 running just fine on a 133mhz ... Have fun and remember that a cheap stick of ram will make your life with ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: best distro for older hardware?
      ... Worth getting as a rescue disk ... > perhaps run a lightweight window manager. ... > Have fun and remember that a cheap stick of ram will make your life ... actually have 96 or 128 MB of ram. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: good distros for *old* computers?
      ... > made for) old computers? ... almost any distro, really. ... the GUI would be the part ... or use a lightweight window manager. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)