Re: How to set up a Linux machine that occupies the minimum memory footprint ?

From: Peter T. Breuer (ptb_at_lab.it.uc3m.es)
Date: 11/29/04

    Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 00:39:43 +0100

    In comp.os.linux.misc Peter <peterwn@parazzdise.net.nz> wrote:
    > Anyway, is there not some limiting device in Linux to put a cap on the
    > mount of memory each user is allowed to use?

    Sure. But how do you know how much he is using? Plenty of it will be
    shared - is he using it or only 1/n'th of it? And then what about
    memory he has been promised but will never ask for? Do you count memory
    that is copy-on-write but has not been written to?

    And so on.

    Peter

    • Re: The Unspoken Dilemma of "Peter and the Wolf"
      ... Peter and the Commissar, ... I can practically recite the whole thing from memory. ... something with which Allan Sherman was all too familiar. ... manner, just sat around picking its corporate nose, unaware of what ...
      (rec.music.classical.recordings)
    • Re: Code density and performance?
      ... >Peter Grandi wrote: ... Small page sizes may not be so good ... >> several decades of memory profiling research that shows this, ...
      (comp.arch)
    • Re: Code density and performance?
      ... >>Peter Grandi wrote: ... >>> several decades of memory profiling research that shows this, ... Wubba, wubba ...
      (comp.arch)
    • Re: Any newbie Linux forums?
      ... Peter T. Breuer wrote: ... newbie friendly without sinking into stupidity. ... There are three factors that make for good problem solvers. ... Memory is the second requirement, and its short term memory that is most ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: strange behaviour