Re: disk bad block checking post-install / ext2

From: prg (rdgentry1_at_cablelynx.com)
Date: 01/12/05

Date: 11 Jan 2005 15:50:23 -0800

Jules wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:06:13 -0800, prg wrote:
>
> > Jules wrote:
> >> Hmm,
[snip]
> >> a) does anything exist to run a disk check whilst maintaining
> > filesystem
> >> integrity,
> >
> > As others noted, $ man badblocks -- _very_ carefully.
> >
> > Also, check if you have smartmontools on your distro. $ man smartd
>
> Ahh, yes I do! Hmm, that looks particularly useful, I'll definitely
give
> that a go (hopefully the SCSI drives I'm using support it!).
>
> I've found that my spare 18GB drive that I have on the shelf is the
exact
> same model as the failing one, so in theory that makes life very
easy;
> a simple dd from the failing drive to the new one should be all I
need
> rather than messing around with doing an OS install and copying data
> across...
>
> > Check if you can get a disk diagnostic/repair utility from the
maker:
> > http://www.duxcw.com/faq/hd/diag.htm
>
> Is it worth it though? Presumably if a drive's developing bad blocks
it's
> due to wear / contamination and will only get worse? In other words,
it's
> just better to throw the drive out and replace it...

It runs the _maker's_ diagnostics -- they are largely used for maker's
QA but you can get some indication of "shelf life" running the full
test. And they can _forcibly_ re-map some bad sectors that others will
miss.

If you backup your data and _zero_ the disk, I think most of the
utilities will rebuild their own bad blocks _table_ and reserve
_new_space_ for the transparent re-mappings. The test results should
give some indication of the viability of continued use

> > As noted, you only have so much spare disk space for remapping.
And
> > the re-mapping is only available on first write -- it the hd can't
> > _read_ the block with data it will _not_ re-map.
>
> Wow - that's a useful bit of info; I didn't know that. I'd assumed
it'd
> remap on reads or writes (In my experience with IDE disks - which
I've
> seen cause a few problems - they silently corrupt on reads a long
time
> before they start giving write errors)

Even with the hd's re-mapping space filled, a good/timely use of
badblocks could mark sectors bad, thus informing the fs to avoid those
bad sector writes. Depends on running badblocks at the right time ;-)

> > Badblocks is best run at fs creation time, but is handy afterwards
also.
> > But to use it you must _know_ what you're doing _and_ generate a
table
> > that the fs can read/use to avoid badblock marked blocks.
>
> As said in another response, I did do that 6 months ago and it threw
up no
> errors then. I'll have to check airflow in the server case too; maybe
> I've got a heat-related problem that's killed this particular
drive...

hth,
prg
email above disabled

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Event ID 11 - please help
    ... a ton of drives. ... > two more SATA WD 120 GB drives connected to the Promise controller ... > Offset Length Sectors ... > Type Indicator Partition Partition ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • [opensuse] Disk Drive Technology and partition alignment [WAS: ]Re: 12.3 + ntfs + ext4 + USB3 + diff
    ... It is time for you to enter the 21st century in respects to disk ... drive is meaningless in modern rotating drives. ... I state that the S value for sectors per track is not ... Depends on what disk partition tool you use, but I don't know of any ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Hard Disk Failure
    ... Does the HDD's OEM diagnostic tool see the full size of the HDD, ... Do you see anything in Disk Management that relates to the 160GB HDD, ... tool on the drives and this is the result. ... Sectors per Cluster: 8 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Cant Move/Backup WinXP
    ... I'm wanting to backup my WinXP partition, ... PartitionMagic finds "bad sectors" ... (Modern drives automatically ...
  • Re: sbp2port.sys, IEEE 1394 port driver
    ... The commands are vendor commands and should be allowed to be ... and that PIO data transfers are in integer numbers of sectors. ... > finished that can format SmartMedia correctly as the SSFDC requires. ... > manufacturer's name and model number of some hard drives in a USB 2.0 ...