Re: Dual Boot Failed to boot XP - SOS !!

From: Conny (NOSPAMuncurbed_at_swipnet.se)
Date: 01/30/05

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:48:58 +0100

"ElZorro" <avijayshankar@coolgoose.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:1107077049.471502.140990@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I have a 40GB Primary master on which I had 4 Partitions with XP. I
> deceided to go for Fedora core 2 still retaining XP.. I deleted one of
> the partitions and created a / and a swap partition and proceeded with
> the installation. Upon restart, the GRUB screen showed up and linux
> boots up neatly. If I select XP, the screen hangs with displaying grub
> commands.. I have no clue as what is happening.. could somebody pull me
> out of this muck ? i have some data on XP which i cannot afford to
> lose.. Iam a real novice and any light in the right direction will be
> greatly appreciated..
>
> thanks
> Vj

You don't say where XP is but here's my GRUB conf for XP:
---------------------------
# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS

# on /dev/hda1

title Windows NT/2000/XP

root (hd0,0)

savedefault

makeactive

chainloader +1

-------------------------------------

Relevant Pages

  • Re: XP and Redhat: dual boot problem
    ... > To install GRUB as bootloader it would have been sufficient to ... > been that GRUB is installed and configured (to start Linux, ... second installation. ... > Partition having 2 logical partitions" from your first posting. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Fedora Core 5 Installation
    ... I think the first problem appeared when you chose not to let Grub handle the booting. ... do not forget to change "hd0" if your windows installation is not on the frist partition ... I have been using Red Hat Linux for a long while now, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: XP and Redhat: dual boot problem
    ... > I reinstalled with Redhat linux now running grub this time. ... To install GRUB as bootloader it would have been sufficient to ... I guess the installation of GRUB failed and the "first stage" ... does it use LILO or GRUB? ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: (K)Ubuntu Grup Installationsauswahl
    ... Bei der Installation konnte man keine Angaben dazu machen ob man nun ... Grub überhaupt haben wollte bzw. wo man ihn gerne hin installiert ... Da ich bereits ein anderes Linux installiert habe würde ich Kubuntu ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Fwd: Install failure at grub installation step
    ... my Ubuntu dapper installation seemed to ... but hung up at the GRUB installation step. ... I made a copy of my existing Hoary system to the partition that I ... root ...
    (Ubuntu)