Re: Remove Root Password from Shadow file

From: Bill Unruh (unruh_at_string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 03/04/05

Date: 4 Mar 2005 08:11:21 GMT

Klist Smith <klistsmith@hotmail.com> writes:

>I forgot my root password for my Linux. Heard that I can simply remove
>the line in the "shadow" file under \etc\.

>What will happen if i simply remove it and reboot? Will it ask for a new
>password or what?

Remover the :x: in /etc/passwd for root. This will make the account
passwordless. Or log on in single user mode (linux 1 at the lilo prompt)
and then run passwd to make a new password for root.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Remove Root Password from Shadow file
    ... Or log on in single user mode (linux 1 at the lilo prompt) ... and then run passwd to make a new password for root. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Remove Root Password from Shadow file
    ... Or log on in single user mode (linux 1 at the lilo prompt) ... and then run passwd to make a new password for root. ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: how to restart userland?
    ... >> Would anyone know of a proven way to completely restart the userland ... Now the system will throw you into single user mode. ... Though on System V the shutdown command is "shutdown -i1 -y". ... Which, btw, will work just fine on Linux too;) ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Password Problem in RH Linux ES
    ... passwd someone ... What if I'm smart enough to require a password for single user mode? ... Users should know that they are not allowed to change accounts. ... People who are not sysadmins should generally not have root. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Crash of linux on RedHat and Knoppix
    ... T> I'm experiencing a strange problem since last few days. ... T> of linux - redhat 9.0 and knoppix 3.3. ... If you can boot up in single user mode, ... whatever file system /var is on). ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)