Re: Newbie: Booting Linux from XP and then XP from Linux

From: Miguel De Anda (sodamnmad_at__hot_mail_.com)
Date: 03/15/05

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:47:38 -0800

Andy Barron wrote:
> Hi I have searched for a while and can't find an answer to this.
> What I want to do is be able to boot to Linux if I am in XP and then
> be able to boot back to XP if I am in Linux but without any control
> during reboot 'cos this will be over a vpn using VNC (don't ask).
>
> I have Mandrake 10.1 and XP installed in different partitions on the
> same disk on a Dell 4700.
>
> Is what I want to do possible and if so could some kind soul tell me
> how. I know I will probably have to provide more info but I don't
> really know what will be required.
>
> TIA
>
> Andy

 From linux to windows, you can just update your lilo.conf file, run
lilo so it now boots to windows by default, then reboot. For windows,
you won't be able to do it. Maybe you can run one of those programs that
are used to boot linux from windows. IRC loadlin is what you're looking
for. The problem with this though, is that you are updating the mbr of
your drive a lot of times. Not sure if this will cause problems for you.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problems with dual boot system
    ... > I then i tried rebooting and it just booted linux, ... > so i figured it was probably just an erorr with the boot ... is your windows system still there? ... bootable disk assuming that your main bootable disk is your IDE primary ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
    ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Looking for dual booting advice
    ... I'm going to dual boot WinXP and Linux from a single HD. ... should be installed BEFORE or AFTER Windows. ... It is not really a big deal if you install Linux first then MS ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: GRUB problem (double windows + linux)
    ... For years I've been able to boot my windows and ... but suddenly neither of both windows ... versions respond, Linux does start normally. ... Are the two Windows drives Master on SEPARATE IDE controllers, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Multiple questions...
    ... >in Windows Xp Home Edition. ... >boot into Linux and DOS. ... >installing 3 OS's on a single partition, or is there a simpler way... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)