Besides $PATH what determines which program is called?

From: George3 (georgethree_at_gmail.com)
Date: 03/31/05

Date: 31 Mar 2005 12:58:21 -0800

I'm trying have a Redhat system call Sun's java, not GNU's java by
default from the command line. I've put the path to the Sun compiler
first in .bashrc but it still calls GNU java. When I type echo $PATH it
shows that the Sun path is first. I could enter the full path for Sun's
java on the commandline but when other programs try to call java
themselves they're seeing the GNU version -- what else besides PATH
determines which program is called?
Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A constructive debate: Eclipse or NetBeans?
    ... that Linux and command-line driven languages like OCaml are so much more ... That's because most people never learn to use a command line or a simple ... Trying to run other people's OpenGL-based Java demos from the web I find ... OpenGL). ...
    (comp.lang.java.softwaretools)
  • Process.waitFor() returns, but threads reading output/error streams are blocked on read
    ... threads to read in the out/err streams, ... i'll include the java source below, but the problem seems extremely specific ... passed in on the command line). ... process is hung if i terminate the process the command line tool connects to ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Denigration of GUI
    ... the output of one command into another etc. ... We're talking about text v. gui. ... Color UI has been available at least a decade before Java. ... all Java programmers) have no idea how anything works, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Regexes on the command line
    ... When the java command inside the script executes it reanalyzes the command string and since the single quotes are gone it misinterprets the special characters. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: My shell cant find Java
    ... I downloaded java with netbeans from Sun ... >> Each time I type java I get an unknown command error. ... how you set environment variable depends on what shell you're using. ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)