syslog-ng problem

joe10001_at_hotmail.com
Date: 04/02/05

Date: 1 Apr 2005 14:56:36 -0800

Hi all,
I recently install syslog-ng on a dedicated server to centralize all
the logs from my other servers through it. I configure the
syslog-ng.conf file and for the moment I can only have the logs on the
machine itself. But when I restart my syslog-ng server to get those
from remote host (tcp), I'm getting the following error :

syslog:/etc/syslog-ng# /etc/init.d/syslog-ng restart
Stopping system logging: syslog-ngstart-stop-daemon: warning: failed to
kill 178: No such process
.
Starting system logging: syslog-ngio.c: bind_inet_socket() bind failed
192.168.0.12:514 Cannot assign requested address
Error initializing configuration, exiting.

I configure all the thing as I needed to. I even put the "-r" in the
sysklogd daemon. I have no firewall installed on the machine.

I think all the syntax is fine. Do I need to do something on the remote
host (192.168.0.12) for listening on the port 514 ?

Here is my syslog-ng.conf file to give you a better idea

# Cental syslog-ng server
# 30/04/2005

#------------------------------------------------------
# Global Options
#------------------------------------------------------
options {
        long_hostnames(on);
        sync(0);
        keep_hostname(yes);
        stats(3600);
        use_dns(yes);
        use_fqdn(yes);
        dns_cache(yes);
        chain_hostnames(no);
};

#------------------------------------------------------
# Data Sources
#------------------------------------------------------
source local {
        unix-dgram("/dev/log");
        internal();
};

#I tried with the UDP protocol too
source ftp {
        tcp(ip(192.168.0.12) port(514) max_connections(100));
};

#------------------------------------------------------
# Destinations
#------------------------------------------------------

destination hosts {
       file ("/var/log/test/$HOST/$FACILITY"
       owner("root") group("root") perm(0600) dir_perm(0700)
create_dirs(yes));
};

#------------------------------------------------------
# LOGS
#------------------------------------------------------
log { source(ftp);
         destination(hosts);
};

log { source(local);
         destination(hosts);
};

#-------------------FIN-----------------

Any comments would be greatly appreciated
tyvm
joe

Relevant Pages

  • Trying to colour syslog-ng logs to ttyv7 but wont work after a reboot
    ... I have a 5.4-STABLE server that I've reconfigured to use syslog-ng ... It collects logs from all our servers and sorts ... I set syslog-ng to log all remote logs to this destination, ... for some reason way beyond me, it *will not work* after a reboot. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Setting up centralized logging
    ... Are there any shortcomings of rsyslog that I should be aware of? ... have to decide on applications to use for collecting logs and analyzing ... and "syslog-ng" seems to be very popular. ... What we did was to set up one syslog server with syslog-ng. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Setting up centralized logging
    ... Syslog-ng seems to me perfect for centralized logging, ... have to decide on applications to use for collecting logs and analyzing ... What we did was to set up one syslog server with syslog-ng. ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: isa 2004 & external website access issue
    ... emailed the logs to you as requested. ... each web server has its own public IP ... > headers in ISA Server ... > 'Microsoft Firewall' service. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Exchange Server
    ... I researched your logs and found the MSExchangeTransport events 4006, 969, ... Right click Default SMTP Virtual Server and select Properties. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)