Re: Python 2.4.1 install broke RedHat 9 printconf-backend

From: Edward Diener (eldiener_no_spam_here_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 04/11/05

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:24:05 GMT

BrianS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to learn Python and wanted to play with Tkinter. I
> couldn't get it to work so I figured it would help if I installed the
> newest verison of Python. I downloaded the source, compiled it and
> installed it. No problem. The next time I booted my machine I the
> following errors when it tried to start CUPS:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/sbin/printconf-backend", line 6, in ?
> import backend
> File "/usr/share/printconf/util/backend.py", line 37, in ?
> import cups_import
> File "/usr/share/printconf/util/cups_import.py", line 7, in ?
> from printconf_conf import *
> File "/usr/share/printconf/util/printconf_conf.py", line 83, in ?
> from xml.utils import qp_xml
> ImportError: No module named utils
>
> It seems that the xml package have been changed. My problem is that I
> don't know enough Python to fix it properly. The old verison of
> Python was 2.2.2 and the
> version I just installed is 2.4.1. This is on a Dell Inspiron 8500
> running Red Hat 9.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Change the /usr/bin/python link from python2.4 to whatever version of python
exe it used to point to, probably python2.2 in your case. The Python2.4
install does not overwrite any of your python2.2 files, it just changes the
python link.

> Brian

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Whats so funny? WAS Re: rotor replacement
    ... That I have to download and perhaps install them to use ... > * I have to download and build the MySQLdb package to talk to MySQL ... > servers from Python code ... I can write something using a core module instead of an external ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • RE: Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?
    ... > install fully useable Python on their Windows machines. ... > Quicksomething for Windows, or RealPlayer, ... The Windows application that I develop and distribute relies on Python ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: bytecode non-backcompatibility
    ... Unstable bytecodes makes updating to a newer version of Python very ... >>>tedious and risk breaking old scripts, ... > setup.py install" to install the library into site-package. ... each port has a list of all the other ports it depends ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • HOWTO: Python 2.3 on Fedora Core 1 Linux
    ... About the 'new' Python ... Appendix A: Python Installation with Tkinter - edit: Modules/Setup.dist ... Be aware that it is always risky to install new software; ... # uncomment and/or edit those parts as indicated. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?
    ... install fully useable Python on their Windows machines. ... different to me than having to install Shockwave, ... Quicksomething for Windows, or RealPlayer, ... The Windows application that I develop and distribute relies on Python ...
    (comp.lang.python)