Re: mdadm -A (1.7.0) segfaults; md raid device not started on boot

From: Walter Mautner (newsleaf.20.eatallspam_at_spamgourmet.com)
Date: 04/14/05

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:01:35 GMT

Alistair Bayley wrote:

> (Mandrake 10.1, kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk i686, mdadm 1.7.0)

Here 2.6.11mm4 on Mdk 10.2

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.redhat/browse_thread/thread/dcb21a94f2645bd3/189a59e6130aec73?q=linux+boot+md+personality+not+loaded&rnum=8#189a59e6130aec73

> "modprobe md-personality-3" is silent - is that right? I want to figure
> out what needs to be fixed/configured so that the /dev/md0 device gets
> started in the boot sequence *before* the filesystem on it is mounted.
> Is it just a case of adding something to /etc/modprobe.preload (what
> though?) Can someone please point me to the right docs, as I'm not sure
> what to look at next.

You didn't post the lines just after the "Mounted root ...".

Here mine:

md: hdb1 has different UUID to hdd6
md: created md0
md: bind<hdb6>
md: bind<hdd6>
md: running: <hdd6><hdb6>
md: personality 3 is not loaded!
md: do_md_run() returned -22
md: md: hdb1 has different UUID to hdd6
md: created md0
md: bind<hdb6>
md: bind<hdd6>
md: running: <hdd6><hdb6>
md: personality 3 is not loaded!
md: do_md_run() returned -22
md: ... autorun DONE.
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
md: raid1 personality registered as nr 3
md: md0 stopped.
md: bind<hdb6>
md: bind<hdd6>
raid1: raid set md0 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors

I think you need the raid1 personality in your initrd (RAMDISK), or compiled
into your kernel (though mkinitrd will then barf about a missing raid
module and refuse to work, unless you tell it to do nevertheless).

Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]