Linux / WinXP Dualboot with Grub

From: Thomas Olschewski (junk_at_innomic.de)
Date: 05/05/05

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 20:14:14 +0200

Hello,

I have 1 hdd with 3 partitions:

hda1, about 15 GB, NTFS, WinXP
hda2, about 15 GB, ext2, to install Linux later
hda3, about 10 GB, FAT32, Win98

I can boot into hda1 (WinXP) and hda3 (Win98) with a grub boot floppy. Now I
want to install grub at hda2. These were my steps:
- Started from a Linux CD,
- created dir /boot/grub at hda2
- copied files from boot floppy to this dir
- started grub
- > root (hd0,1): grub says ext2 fs found
- > setup (hd0): grub found all stage files and menu.lst
- > quit
- reboot
- removed floppy and Linux CD

Result: Just a blinking cursor, nothing else. What went wrong?

Thomas

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Grub did not install on dual boot machine.
    ... why did you "install" Linux on a FAT16 partition. ... See below re: grub. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: XP and Redhat: dual boot problem
    ... > To install GRUB as bootloader it would have been sufficient to ... > been that GRUB is installed and configured (to start Linux, ... second installation. ... > Partition having 2 logical partitions" from your first posting. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Grub Error 22 - Ubuntu / Win2k - Cant boot linux session
    ... i can boot Win2k without problems, but i can't boot on linux? ... Ensure GRUB knows where to look for the linux bootable kernel.... ... Ensure the kernel line is correct and points to your kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: dual booting computer sheddies to the bridge
    ... I knocked up an old puter with two drives, ... The usual "duel boot" spelling is not entirely accidental. ... Kubuntu drive as master and Win drive as slave grub comes up but there`s ... If I put the winxp disk as master and the linux disk as slave, ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • Suse 9.1 keeps corrupting MBR for Windows (need help with GRUB)
    ... Windows trashes GRUB and you can't boot into LINUX or GRUB IS SOMEHOW ... SUSE, I let it install GRUB on the MBR of this first drive. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)