Re: SATA Raid Controller for Linux

From: Rudolf Usselmann (russelmann_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 05/13/05

Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:57:36 +0700

Michael Heiming wrote:
>>> Personally I'd stflavor suggest 3ware, they simply rock and are
>>> AFAIK all 64bit but will also work in 32bit slots.
>
>> 3Ware is even better than Adaptec, but tend to be hideously expensive.
>
> Ack, there are much cheaper devices, but it's doubtable they
> deliver software like adaptec does, the more expensive scsi raid
> controller come with tools (rpm), allowing to configure anything
> including upgrading the firmware remotely from the running OS.
> (IIRC you need to reboot to get the new controller firmware
> running.)

For me the most important thing is the "any flavor" Linux
support. E.g. the card must provide either open source
drivers, or binaries for any combination of OS/Kernel.

Second criteria is support. I sent an email to 3Ware tech
support, and immediately got an auto reply saying that will
get beck within 24 hours. Thats has been 2.5 days ago. Cost
for me is not an issue as this is for business use and
reliability and support are more important.

I am also confused weather I can use a PCI card, such as a
3Ware, in a PCI-X slot ? Do PCI-X slots support legacy
PCI 2.2 cards ? I did not see any PCI-X cards from 3Ware ...

Thanks alot for all the help guys !

Best Regards,
rudi
Rudolf Usselmann, ASICS World Services, http://www.asics.ws
Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

Relevant Pages

  • HP Adaptec HostRAID SHIM Linux (aad81xx driver)
    ... Recompile Process Outline ... The SHIM (Adaptec HostRAID re-compilable package) code model allows the end user ... Adaptec has tested this recompile procedure ONLY on the following Linux kernel streams: ... Support for other Linux streams may be attempted by the user, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: aac support
    ... 1,800 adaptec aac raid controllers being currently used by openbsd ... The vendors need a business ... > sent to the vendor in order to get support. ... >> I have been counting controllers mentioned in mails and am now up to ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: real hardware-raid for linux?
    ... I looked at some adaptec-solutions and they support only certain suse-version up to suse7 or suse9. ... Those older distros are probably the ones for which Adaptec provided downloadable drivers before they were incorporated into mainstream kernels. ... Most of Adaptec's current SATA RAID cards are supported by the open source "aacraid" driver. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: aac support
    ... There has got to be a better way to work with the vendors in order to ... sent to the vendor in order to get support. ... > We have been talking to Adaptec for more than a year to get other RAID ... > I have been counting controllers mentioned in mails and am now up to ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Adaptec ATA RAID 1200A under Linux
    ... >>by Adaptec, after emailing their support they only ... >>supported under Linux and they provide the drivers ... The driver is now in the main line ...
    (RedHat)