486 Laptop

mlehman0_at_gmail.com
Date: 06/03/05

Date: 2 Jun 2005 20:01:14 -0700

I've got an NEC 486 with 8MB RAM. Floppy Drive and a 170 MB HD. Wow
what a pile.

Anyways, I'm pretty familar with Distributions like Debian and RedHat,
but I'm not sure that either of those will install on such little RAM.
I don't want to put any money into it besides maybe a NIC or something.

Now what I want to do with this is (hopefully it's possible):

Install some sort of Linux that supports a WiFi card or NIC.
access the internet, via ssh only.
Be able to read floppies.

I thought for a while that maybe an FDLinux-like distro would be ideal,
but I've never really used it so I wouldn't know. So basically, how
can I get Linux on this thing, and would a wifi card work with it
anyway? (its PCMCIA 2.0 i believe)

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ot: mini laptops
    ... actually work with the PCMCIA WiFi card because the 7 and 8 v's ... But there's a 'walkthrough' for ubuntu install on the ... I've asked some more detailed Q's on a Linux N/g. ... XPP) it found ALL the hardware and even the WiFi card since. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Need a distribution for an old PC
    ... Slow boot, but it runs like a charm for surfing the ... A few weeks after I added some RAM to get to a total of 64MB, ... I'd like to install linux on this machine, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Aspire One freezes during boot
    ... I wondered whether this might be a problem with the SSD. ... F9 before Linux starts to boot. ... I also like your idea of trying to install XP. ... the SSD and RAM first. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: vista x64 setup hangs at please wait, "ata channel 0" error in Dev manager in vista
    ... if the RAM is throwing errors. ... that the slow install is not due to some ... I hadnt thought of the linux approach.. ... drives.. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Older Computers
    ... to think of Linux when they buy their next computer. ... Although as you go back in time, the typical RAM ... A live CD was not possible, so the Alternate install ... Xubuntu might need a little more support than kubuntu though. ...
    (Ubuntu)