Re: Booting from USB HDD without BIOS support

From: Bruno Taglienti (bruno.taglienti_at_roma1.infn.it)
Date: 06/15/05

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:59:48 +0200

Stephan Keil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an external USB harddisk and installed Linux (SUSE 9.3) on it.
> Unfortunately my BIOS does not support direct booting from USB harddisks.
> I suppose it is possible to setup e.g. a small boot CD (booting from CD
> is supported), which loads a USB driver and finally boots Linux from the
> USB harddisk.
> Can anyone please give me some hints how to do this? Or does anyone have
> a better idea how to boot from the harddisk?
>
> Thanks and Best Regards, Stephan
>
> P.S.: Background: My system is a Medion MD8383XL with Phoenix 6.0 BIOS.
> The main harddisk is a SATA device, which is full of <shame> Windows XP
> </shame>.

What you need is to boot from CD with an initial ramdisk including
the usb-storage support (mkinitrd --with=uhci-hcd --with=ohci-hcd
--with=ehci-hcd --with=usb-storage)
The initial ramdisk including the usb-storage is crucial to be able to
mount the root fs on the USB drive.

Then Google search for "grub on CD" to learn how to make a grub-bootable
cd-rom.

The typical grub.conf entry should be as follows:

title USB boot
         root(cd)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.X-Y root=/dev/sdaZ
         initrd /ramdisk-2.6.X.Y.img

I made all that in practice and it works.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Booting from USB HDD without BIOS support
    ... > Unfortunately my BIOS does not support direct booting from USB harddisks. ... which loads a USB driver and finally boots Linux from the ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ USB BOOT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... boot external sata on usb ... usb boot disk download ... which usb drives will boot dell ...
    (sci.psychology.personality)
  • Re: soundcard SoundBlaster PCI128 or SoundBlaster live1024 problem
    ... > What messages are you getting from boot log and dmesg? ... ACPI tables contain no PCI IRQ routing entries ... RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 64000K size 1024 blocksize ... USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.2 ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Naming harddisks (Linux)
    ... But I also see that for an USB drive it uses /dev/sdas the ... Does GRUB recognize SCSI drives? ... The first step in understanding the boot process is to ... The bootloader's job is to load the OSs kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: USB key requirement.
    ... I figured that after the root partition is mounted (nfs), ... wondering what good means the usb key in this case. ... continue the boot sequence. ... the key would be checked right after the block device is ...
    (Debian-User)