minimal install on dual boot

morphis_at_niuhep.physics.niu.edu
Date: 07/13/05

Date: 13 Jul 2005 13:39:52 -0700

Hullo,
  I have an old 200MHz AMD machine with 32 MBytes. It currently
boots win98se off a scsi disk. It also has a 512 MB IDE disk that
I've cleaned off and I would like to install linux mostly to do
C/C++ and maybe some Java (not for web apps). I come from VMS so
I'm perfectly happy without X-windows.

  I would like some suggestions for distributions that would be
good for this and any pointers on the specifics of such an
installation. I've done Red Hat and Fedora Core installations
(as well as a Tru64 installation a looong time ago).

  I am generally planning on booting grub on the IDE and dual
booting from there.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Robert Morphis

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows 98 and Windows XP
    ... The first problem is that Win98 is not able to see the SCSI disk; ... want to proceed with the installation, Do I have to load DOS SCSI disk ... drivers before proceeding? ...
  • Re: userland starvation with 2.4.25-rc2
    ... > filesystem on the IDE disk is ext2 and the file system on the SCSI disks ... I am trying to load the SCSI disk by doing in parallel: ... > The upper graph is the CPU load, the lower graph is the I/O load. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: filesystem bug?
    ... Yoshihiro Tsuchiya: ... >SCSI disk and IDE also. ... We haven't tried it with IDE disk. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [FIXED] Re: Total machine lockup w/ current kernels while installing from CD
    ... lockup detection was right. ... device - perhaps an IDE disk in PIO mode? ... That too - happened with a pretty stupid 5-liner installation script that just ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: IDE dressed as SCSI
    ... IDE disk is a SCSI disk? ... I have some software that will only install ... on SCSI disks and I'd rather use the gear I've got than ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)