Re: Mail server recommendations

From: Chiefy (lgb_at_non.existent.invalid)
Date: 08/04/05

    Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:14:19 -0000

    01 Aug 2005 16:56 UTC, exotic-scales typed:
    > I'm currently using MS Exchange on an old NT 4.0 box,

    Oh dear :-(

    > ... and would like to migrate to a Linux machine (Red Hat 9, for now)
    > that I recently built. I hear that SendMail is the default, but is somewhat unwieldy.

    Slackware uses sendmail as the default mta too. The first thing I was told
    to do was to rip it out immediately and replace it with Exim, which is very
    easy to compile and configure, including integration of AV/SPAM scanning
    etc which may be useful for any 'doze users.

    If you're looking for a nice simple POP3 server try QPopper, also very easy
    to use.

    --
    Q: How many IBM 370's does it take to execute a job?
    A: Four, three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.

    • Re: Sendmail, Procmail and (ugh) Exchange
      ... Due to the crappy filtering available in Exchange, I want to still use procmail. ... We also still want to use sendmail for handling some other issues ... First remember that Procmail is a "Local Delivery Agent" that Sendmail calls for local delivery. ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)
    • Re: SendMail to Exchange
      ... I usually prefer to switch the routing before the mailboxes because it ... MVP - Exchange ... For example, your sendmail server is your current production server, ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: Unable to receive e-mail from particular domain
      ... We've been running an Exchange 2003 server behind NAT for some ... NATted to the Sendmail box. ... it's obvious a Onetel server connects to our ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)
    • Re: Percent Hack
      ... It wouldn't actually be fronted by exchange - I've formulated a solution ... rather than a static list on the debian box). ... I don't want to have to upgrade them as my Redhat knowledge is limited - ... is better than an ancient sendmail one. ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)
    • Re: SendMail to Exchange
      ... For example, your sendmail server is your current production server, ... introduce your Exchange server as your backend server and have mail ... Backend Exchange server and once complete decommision your sendmail? ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)