Re: Running linux off of a MP3 player?

From: Miguel De Anda (sodamnmad_at_linuxmail.org)
Date: 08/24/05

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:07:52 -0700

gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I have a iRiver iHP120 hard drive player and would like to install
> Linux (preferably SuSE or Slackware but I can do another distro too) on
> it and be able to boot up on other computers using my "portable hard
> drive" so i can have my own setup wherever I go. I have heard that
> knoppix can be run off a flashdrive but haven't heard anything about
> doing that with other distros (not to mention from mp3 players). Are
> there any resources (or a step by step HOWTO [i'm no linux guru]) out
> there about this? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>

> Cheers
>
> -Gaiko

Ok, so assuming you have some distro that boots from flash without any
problems, aren't you going to have to modify boot sectors or something
on the drive so it boots? What if the mp3 player's os is using them? I
think the ipod (with fat) uses 2 partitions, the first is the one it
boots, so it may be ok to modify stuff on the second. How does the mp3
player you got handle this?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Running linux off of a MP3 player?
    ... I have a iRiver iHP120 hard drive player and would like to install ... so assuming you have some distro that boots from flash without any ... aren't you going to have to modify boot sectors or something ... What if the mp3 player's os is using them? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Dude, Wheres My Hard Drive?
    ... The drives are there. ... XP boots, and I can access all of my files (MP3, JPEG, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)