Re: VNC Configuration in Suse Linux 9.2 - No logon prompt

From: John Howell (jehowell_at_ihug.co.nz)
Date: 09/24/05

Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:15:00 +1200

Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:

> On Fri,sessionnp 2005 22:43:37 +0200, John Howell <jehowell@ihug.co.nz>
> wrote:

> I have no knowledge of VNC, and would like to ask a few questions.
>
> Googling, I find that VNC enables the server to share its screen's
> contents with the client(s). This would mean that if you are seeing
> just the grey root window and the big X cursor (the initial state
> of most X servers), then the same thing should appear on the server's
> real screen.

Yup, that is what I see. On the real physical console for the server though,
I can get the graphical login and have no problems.

> If that is the case, this is not a VNC problem but a general linux
> setup problem, for which this must be a very appropriate newsgroup.
> But then I don't see why the OP presents it as a problem of what
> appears in the VNC client.

Just a setup question from the point of view that I will be using VNC quite
often for my desktop PC as my laptop only runs Windows, and so when I want
any of my Linux apps when I am working away from home or in another room in
the house I jsut want a graphical terminal to my server and my desktop.

> In this case, the OP, being new to Linux, needs some advice on
> how to debug the final steps of the bootup procedures, from the
> line in /etc/inittab that starts a display manager (if this is
> done from /etc/inittab on SuSE, I am a Fedora guy), through the
> scripts that the display manager uses to set up its environment.
> The OP might also need a hint about how to use tools like
> ps (process status), select processes by sid (session id), etc.
> A word about what processes to expect could also be usefull to
> him.

That would be cool. I can see the VNC session starting on the server when I
connect to it, and I can get in with either my RealVNC client or a Java
based browser VNC client, but I get the same result in both cases, no login
prompt.

> There are two possibilities that strike me: The OP does not have
> a physical screen connected to the server, and relies on VNC
> to access it, or my source of knowledge about VNC fails to mention
> the (quite obvious) next step: VNC could provide additional virtual
> screens to its remote clients. This would offer a graphical
> alternative to the standard "telnet style" terminal connection.
>
> Does VNC offer this?

Yup, full graphical shell. I have no problems with a SSH connection, this
goes fine, but hard to use KMail with no Xwindow 8)

> In this case, of course, the vnc server configuration is the logical
> place to start debugging.
>
> Either way, the OP could also find usefull a hint about the system
> logging facilities, starting with the common log file
> /var/log/messages, provided that VNC does use syslog. For what I
> know VNC could write to it's own log file.
>
> I believe most people believe it is important to be brief and to
> the point when addressing somebody for help. Newsgroups like
> this do not work quite that way. It is better to provide
> information about your computer, and especially to provide some
> observations. Give the readers something to go on. Being too
> breif is a sure way of getting few answers.
>
> -Enrique

The VNC server with the problem is an AMD 3200+ with 1GB RAM running SUSE
Linux Pro 9.2. Video card is NVidia 0x0322, NIC is unknown, it is
integrated on the motherboard, but the linux generic driver seems to be
working fine.

I also have the server running SAMBA, NFS, Apache2 and Tomcat along with the
VNC service.