Re: [printer] Samsung CLP 510 configuration

From: Neil T. Dantam (ndantam_at_purdue.edu)
Date: 10/02/05

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:06:37 -0500

iuz wrote:
> i've just bought a Samsung CLP 510 printer but i'm unable to correctly
> configure it for 1200dpi printings (no problem with 600dpi).
>
> i've tried to edit the ppd ...

That's probably a very bad idea unless you know damn well what you're
doing.

> ...file adding one line with the 1200dpi resolution
> option but the printer return a page like that ->
>
> ***
> SPL-C ERROR - Insufficient Memory
>
> POSITION : 0xae3d133 (182702387)
>
> SYSTEM : eHeapTemp
>
> LINE : 160768
>
> VERSION : SPL-C 1.28 09-15-2004
> ***
>
> someone have already had the same problem?
> what can i do to resolve it?

Check out http://linuxprinting.org.

I've had good luck using the cups web interface to configure printers.
Assuming you have the permissions set right in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf,
then you can get to it at http://localhost:631. You should be able to
change all the available options there. If you need to edit cupsd.conf,
the syntax is somewhat similar to that for apache, so you'll need a
couple sections along the lines of:

<Location />
        Order Deny,Allow
        Deny From All
        Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

<Location /admin>
        AuthType Basic
        AuthClass System
        ## Restrict access to local domain
        Order Deny,Allow
        Deny From All
        Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

If you still get an out of memory error after increasing the DPI in the
web interface, you may need more printer memory.

Neil