Re: defragmenting?

From: Enrique Perez-Terron (enrio_at_online.no)
Date: 10/22/05

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:48:39 +0200

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:32:34 +0200, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@comcast.net> wrote:

> <spike1@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> No need to zero a partition to discover bad blocks either...
>> Well, not if your filesystem fsck utility has the ability.
>> fsck -c /dev/hda will perform a scan for bad blocks, mark them as
>> unusable,
>> and then continue with a full fsck scan for damaged files resulting from
>> those blocks (which then get dumped into lost+found)
>>
>> This works with ext2/3, but I don't think reiserfsck used to have the
>> ability.
>
> Historically, for me, I've found zero-ing the partition to be slightly more
> reliable. It also doesn't require a filesystem or any management of it.

Curious, how do you measure (or "measure" :) ) that reliability?

Also, how do bad blocks manifest themselves when they occur, using dd?
CRC errors reported from OS to dd and from dd to the stderr? But does
the drive read back the contents of the block after the write to check
the CRC?

-Enrique

Relevant Pages

  • Re: defragmenting?
    ... not if your filesystem fsck utility has the ability. ... Historically, for me, I've found zero-ing the partition to be slightly more ... It also doesn't require a filesystem or any management of it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: 64bit hardware - 32 or 64 bit O/S. (conclusions!)
    ... there seems to be a slight lack of confidence in 64-bit's ability ... My question is should I keep my 32 bit linux installation or upgrade it ... partition is 8G which you won't miss out of a 250G drive. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Auto OS Install Process
    ... from the "clean" partition. ... -also able to invoke a netinstall process to reinstall partitionA as ... -has the ability to set itself as the default OS/partition ... Kickstart files offers you a completely automated way to install ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Ghost 2003 and FC 3
    ... >> This is a know problem with Norton Ghost. ... ext3 partition, but the error occurs with the ext boot partition. ... restore takes about 50 minutes for a single machines, ... This ability of Norton Ghost, is a big plus, and ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Partition Question
    ... >to have the ability to 'reformat' in case of catastrophic destruction/loss of ... >to find the OS ..no error screen, I was able to access the BIOS setup, but ... partition and running the setup program in it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)