Re: freeware linux virus scanners

From: Dave Uhring (daveuhring_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/28/05

    Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:13:55 -0500

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:23:12 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > "Dave Uhring" <daveuhring@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >> 1. How is a virus scanner going to prevent some phishing scam? I get at
    >> least two of those each day and none of them ever contained some Linux
    >> "virus".
    >
    > True, but the phishing scams are detected pretty effectively by the virus
    > scanners. I use the ClamAV scanner to good effect to reduce the volume of
    > such traffic, even to simply reduce the irritating spam content.

    Last time I tried running ClamAV it failed to detect a number of Windows
    viruses which I had sent to myself from my yahoo.com account. I have no
    confidence in ClamAV.

    In any case, there are *no* viruses in the wild which can infect any Linux
    system in the manner that is implemented by your Outhouse Excess. By
    default email attachments in Linux have no executable bits set.

    >> 2. Note that I specifically asked about a "Linux workstation", not some
    >> Linux mail server. Nor do I run any virus scanner on the ISP's mail
    >> server which I administer. Those Windows lusers can protect themselves.
    >
    > And your Linux readers are too smart to be phished?

    Even some of my Windows users now know how to read email headers.
    Besides, the discussion is about viruses, not gullible users. There will
    always be users who are so stupid that they cannot even breathe
    voluntarily.

    Now back to the original question. The OP is *not* asking about running
    an MTA. The OP is concerned about detecting viruses on his own PC and he
    has absolutely no requirement for a "virus scanner" for that application.
    You, OTOH, do have some concern:

    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause
      ... You may not be running a virus scanner, ... are not stupid enough to ignore the need for chkrootkit and some file ... RUN on any Linux system. ... Nothing more happened and nothing more can happen unless the worm ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: What is Dazuko?
      ... >> Dazuko can run several daemons in one real time scan. ... Its possible to scan every Linux file, which already runs or will start ... but only with AntiVir virus scanner and you have to run AVGuard. ... > it does not make sense to scan a Linux machine for Windows virusses. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: MAME runs like crap, desperate for help.
      ... and disabled some of the other programs (antivirus ... In my opinion those virus scanner which always scan make no sense, ... As even if you manually scan files very new viruses are not reliable ... Tired of Windows malware but fear to try out Linux? ...
      (alt.games.mame)
    • Re: Security for the desktop user
      ... If the bean counter doesn't have sufficient clue for this to satisfy them, ... Whilst I'd agree with you on the subject of viable viruses for Linux its ... It makes more sense to run the virus scanner on the system which is affected by ... Any machine connected to the University network ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: [SLE] Virus Scanner
      ... > other mail server, that my computer send viruses on Saturday, ... > possible spam. ... > Our office mail server use f-prot as virus scanner and clamuko ... Linux virus they dont exist out there and attempts at illicit ...
      (SuSE)