Re: freeware linux virus scanners

From: Dave Uhring (daveuhring_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/28/05

    Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:13:55 -0500

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:23:12 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > "Dave Uhring" <daveuhring@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >> 1. How is a virus scanner going to prevent some phishing scam? I get at
    >> least two of those each day and none of them ever contained some Linux
    >> "virus".
    >
    > True, but the phishing scams are detected pretty effectively by the virus
    > scanners. I use the ClamAV scanner to good effect to reduce the volume of
    > such traffic, even to simply reduce the irritating spam content.

    Last time I tried running ClamAV it failed to detect a number of Windows
    viruses which I had sent to myself from my yahoo.com account. I have no
    confidence in ClamAV.

    In any case, there are *no* viruses in the wild which can infect any Linux
    system in the manner that is implemented by your Outhouse Excess. By
    default email attachments in Linux have no executable bits set.

    >> 2. Note that I specifically asked about a "Linux workstation", not some
    >> Linux mail server. Nor do I run any virus scanner on the ISP's mail
    >> server which I administer. Those Windows lusers can protect themselves.
    >
    > And your Linux readers are too smart to be phished?

    Even some of my Windows users now know how to read email headers.
    Besides, the discussion is about viruses, not gullible users. There will
    always be users who are so stupid that they cannot even breathe
    voluntarily.

    Now back to the original question. The OP is *not* asking about running
    an MTA. The OP is concerned about detecting viruses on his own PC and he
    has absolutely no requirement for a "virus scanner" for that application.
    You, OTOH, do have some concern: