Re: Windows Network connect

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (
Date: 11/18/05

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:38:33 -0500

"John Ferrell" <> wrote in message
> The Distro I am using is a Knoppix 3.7 loaded to a Hard drive. I
> understand that is not a legitimate configuration but it was
> reasonable to get up and running. I last visited Linux with Red Hat
> 8.0 with a bad experience trying to get by unsupported hardware.
> Knoppix seems to get me by that problem. The hardware is an ASUS A7N8X
> MB with an AMD 2K CPU. The video card is an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600.

Fedora Core 4 or CentOS 4.2 would be peachy-keen-happy on that hardware, I
think. Knoppix also has updates available, to version 4.x, and the
full-blown DVD version of it may have a Samba server.

> Net view from windows does not show this machine.
> I have not figured out how to find out the address to ping for the
> Linux machine.

net view won't show it, until it's running Samba or something like it. On
the Linux box, you can run "/sbin/ifconfig -a" and look at the IP addresses
of all the different network ports. Do read the manual pages on the ifconfig
command, it's useful.

> Getting past the problem of getting an LCD monitor running today was
> no small feat!

Oh, you have my sympathies there. Some no-name monitor, right?