Re: Windows Network connect

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_comcast.net)
Date: 11/18/05

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:38:33 -0500

"John Ferrell" <johnferrell@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
news:t27qn15e7kkaegtqtfdptf6srv5ch2r995@4ax.com...
> The Distro I am using is a Knoppix 3.7 loaded to a Hard drive. I
> understand that is not a legitimate configuration but it was
> reasonable to get up and running. I last visited Linux with Red Hat
> 8.0 with a bad experience trying to get by unsupported hardware.
>
> Knoppix seems to get me by that problem. The hardware is an ASUS A7N8X
> MB with an AMD 2K CPU. The video card is an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600.

Fedora Core 4 or CentOS 4.2 would be peachy-keen-happy on that hardware, I
think. Knoppix also has updates available, to version 4.x, and the
full-blown DVD version of it may have a Samba server.

> Net view from windows does not show this machine.
> I have not figured out how to find out the address to ping for the
> Linux machine.

net view won't show it, until it's running Samba or something like it. On
the Linux box, you can run "/sbin/ifconfig -a" and look at the IP addresses
of all the different network ports. Do read the manual pages on the ifconfig
command, it's useful.

> Getting past the problem of getting an LCD monitor running today was
> no small feat!

Oh, you have my sympathies there. Some no-name monitor, right?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: (?)useful document -- please copy, distribute
    ... skilled windows' users then the text is just fine. ... relevant to learn about drives and /mnt/xxx at the first Linux encounter. ... and 'folder' better than 'drives'. ... Pertains to latest distro of Knoppix ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Ive thought better of Linux
    ... > RedHat and Knoppix do come up on his machine. ... hardware auto-detection and auto-configuration tools. ... Of couse, the Linux option is more difficult to price, either you ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
    ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • (?)useful document -- please copy, distribute
    ... Pertains to latest distro of Knoppix ... Second half of document is very general, pertains to linux, unix ... your data on your Microsoft Windows hard drive (word processor documents, ... folder where all users' reside. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: XP PC will not boot
    ... The smallest distro I've tried, is Damn Small Linux, at 50MB. ... and it won't boot on my computer. ... Knoppix, ... the source partitions can remain read-only while you're working. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)