Re: FC4 on Dual Pentium III

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel_at_comcast.net)
Date: 11/27/05

    Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:13:20 -0500

    "Enrique Perez-Terron" <enrio@online.no> wrote in message
    news:op.s0u8pwgznxtvbs@apeiron.home.lan...
    > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:47:41 +0100, Aaron Gray <ang.usenet@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am going to install Fedora Core 4 on a Dual Pentium III server.
    >>
    >> Do I have to rebuild the kernel for it or does the install do Dual CPU
    >> machines ?
    >
    > Go ahead and try; if it doesn't, by all means tell me.
    >
    > FC4 does have smp kernels in their installation media. It would be very
    > surprising (to me, at least) if the install still installs a uniprocessor
    > kernel.
    >
    > (I only have uniprocessors, so I have not tried)
    >
    > (smp = "symmetric multi-processor". "Symmetric" because all cpus can run
    > kernel code.)

    >From experience, it generally installs *BOTH*. The information about which
    should be the default kernel is stored in /etfc/sysconfig/kernel, and is
    used to set the default kernel when you do kernel updates. I'm personally a
    big believer in ripping out kernels you don't use or plan to use, such as
    ripping out the single-processor kernel when you have an SMP machine, just
    to lighten the load on your disk and your RPM database and help avoid
    confusion when booting.

    Do note: if you're running a single CPU kernel, there is *no way* short of
    installing a LinuxBIOS (which I don't recommend for amateurs) to detect that
    you actually have another CPU or hyper-threading available, short of
    rebooting with an SMP kernel and looking around in /proc/cpuinfo or using a
    tool that looks in /proc/cpuinfo.. There may be some deep kernel probing
    tools out there in user-land, but the only tools I've seen that might have
    been useful some day were never complete enough to even be compilable in
    most circumstances.

    It's a shame, really. There was some toolset from IBM I saw years ago, but
    the consultant I met working on it got dropped as part of the dot-bomb
    layoff years ago.

    • input method on fc3?
      ... FC3 and soundcard ... >> without problems and sound works fine. ... What modules were loaded with kernel ... I can install and configure samba on Linux as easily as I can install ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Looooong Horror story, 10.04.4 LTS on an amd turion 64 bit laptop version
      ... I used a procedure which installed a custom combo of kernel 3.5.7 ... which appeared to install without any gotchas. ... The update-manager finished, I had it recheck, nothing left to do ... No networking at all, usb detection of my plugging in the radio ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Fedora Core 2, Averatec 3220 notebook
      ... I recently bought an Averatec 3220 notebook computer and have spent some ... Following is a detailed "howto" guide for installing Linux (Fedora Core ... Linux distro, which is easy to install and use, and for lots of answers ... We need one because the default Fedora Core kernel doesn't grok NTFS ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: install woes
      ... looking at the Fedora 9 64bit DVD: ... I'd try the acpi=off, but I didn't need any boot options, as far as I remember ... appended the kernel, probably post-install. ... but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Probably stupid question, but
      ... Flash is in the repos. ... The package contains a script that downloads ... If you manually install it, ... If you need a RT kernel for CAD/CAM work, fine, run the RT ...
      (Ubuntu)