Fedora Core 2/Windows XP dual boot: selecting Linux doesn't work

I have used Linux for several years at University, but never had the
need to do any installing etc. Now I try to set it up at home, and I've
run into a problem.

I have a new computer with Windows XP/Pro installed on it. As I would
like to have Linux available as well, and as I still had my old 19 GB
hard disk, I decided to install Fedora on the old disk, and make a dual
boot system.

Installing Fedora (FC2) worked fine, apart from a warning about the
alignment of partitions. Removing all partitions on the disk solved
that problem. Using BootPart, I created an image of the boot sector,
placed it on my Windows C: volume, and added the appropriate line to
boot.ini.

Now when I restart the computer, I get a screen where I can choose
between XP (default) and Linux. Booting XP gives no problem, but when I
choose Linux, the screen goes black for a second, and then returns to
the same "choose OS" screen. No matter how many times I try, even if I
make Linux the default choice, I always return to that same screen, and
the only way out is to boot XP.

I also tried booting from the Fedora CD in rescue mode, and using dd to
create a boot image (dd if=/dev/hdc1 of=linux.bin bs=512 count=1), but
for some reason I can't mount my floppy drive or get access to the
network, so I have no way to copy linux.bin to my Win drive...

Any suggestions on how I can make Linux boot?

Thanks in advance.

--
Garmt de Vries.

  • Re: CD Install problem (blank screen after boot)
    ... Linux CD and install it without any problems. ... so the master boot record has ... inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...", ... You will also have difficulty in installing Linux because you apparently ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • How to Install Linux So That it Boots
    ... I've been trying for about 8 days now to install linux ... so that it will boot from a new hard drive. ... the hard disk is never bootable. ... Using DOS fdisk to partition the drive before installing linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Appalling Vista
    ... installing anything to your hard drive. ... At the grub boot screen, use your arrow keys to highlight "kernel ... Is that how Linux works? ... will stay with Windows. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: bad ubuntu-7.10-desktop-ia64.iso on Ubuntu website? http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/
    ... I'm a Ubuntu newbie, and in fact, a newbie to installing Linuxes of ... the files on the CD look incomplete: I don't see any "boot image", ... I've downloaded the file on both a Windows machine and the x86 Linux ... In Ubuntu ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: XP Dual Boot Question
    ... > I don't really like having to boot Linux from a separate floppy, ... > installing 9.0? ... Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)