Re: X is broke... freeing multiple contexts (2)

Wayne Dernoncourt <wayned@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Doing that didn't help. I looked at the log file and all I
> saw then was gibberish. I looked again and worked at
> understanding what I was seeing.

> Quoting from part of the log file:
> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Ah - your font server is not running (it's on a local unix socket at
port 7100). Fix it. Probably /tmp is full so it can't run.

> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

Tough - change the font path so it doesn't use the nonexisting font
server, or start the font server.

> Aha! I first search for the directory/file called unix and

Dohhhhhh! No! "unix" is a domain, like "tcp". It is telling you that
you have a local ("unix", not "tcp") socket connection to nurse.

> missing (I couldn't find a file file called fixed).

Of course you could. Read your font descriptions file. "fixed" is the
font of last resort - since you had no fonts avaolable at all, due to
the demise of the silly server providing them, you didn't even have the
last resort.

Why is RH so silly? This IS RH, isn't it? Once upon a time there was
some point in running a local font server - in order to provide a
two-threaded implementation of looking up fonts! It was cheaper than
recoding the server. But the server has been rewritten for years now to
do a multithreaded font lookup - so what is the point? And what is the
point in not providing a directory lookup element in the font path as a
fallback! After all, the font server is getting the fonts locally!

Peter

  • Re: Could not open font fixed message PART 2
    ... Could not init font path element unix/:7100, ... If you encounter a server crash, please report the problem by filling ... a bug report in the XFree86.org bugzilla at http://xfree86.org and/or ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Very large font size crashing X Font Server and Grounding Server to a Halt (was: remote DoS in M
    ... >> I was able to log on to the server with enough time to SIGKILL the ... >> after killing xfs-daemon and noticed that there was a lot of free memory ... >> check to prevent such large sizes from crashing X and/or the X Font ... > kernel should be able to cope with the situation gracefully. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • gforth: OpenGL Graphics Lesson 13
    ... Specifies the number of display lists to be executed. ... Push the server attribute stack. ... Create bitmap display lists from an X font ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: display problems in W2K TS client / W2K server is VirtPC guest
    ... I noted that I am having the same graphics issues when I run ... > You will have to install the Century Gothic font on the server. ... >> I have just converted a desktop app to be Terminal Services ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps)
  • Re: Newsreader problem 10.3.9
    ... Funny that I never consciously noticed it was MT-NewsWatcher. ... several days to reach your news server. ... subjects in that window using the font you chose for that character set. ... then choose a font & size to use for that language. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.misc)