Re: X is broke... freeing multiple contexts (2)

Wayne Dernoncourt <wayned@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Doing that didn't help. I looked at the log file and all I
> saw then was gibberish. I looked again and worked at
> understanding what I was seeing.

> Quoting from part of the log file:
> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Ah - your font server is not running (it's on a local unix socket at
port 7100). Fix it. Probably /tmp is full so it can't run.

> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

Tough - change the font path so it doesn't use the nonexisting font
server, or start the font server.

> Aha! I first search for the directory/file called unix and

Dohhhhhh! No! "unix" is a domain, like "tcp". It is telling you that
you have a local ("unix", not "tcp") socket connection to nurse.

> missing (I couldn't find a file file called fixed).

Of course you could. Read your font descriptions file. "fixed" is the
font of last resort - since you had no fonts avaolable at all, due to
the demise of the silly server providing them, you didn't even have the
last resort.

Why is RH so silly? This IS RH, isn't it? Once upon a time there was
some point in running a local font server - in order to provide a
two-threaded implementation of looking up fonts! It was cheaper than
recoding the server. But the server has been rewritten for years now to
do a multithreaded font lookup - so what is the point? And what is the
point in not providing a directory lookup element in the font path as a
fallback! After all, the font server is getting the fonts locally!

Peter
.