Re: Dual boot question

In message <67k093-oqh.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alan Adams <alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is there a simple way to tell the Windows boot.ini that Linux is an option?
>
> Sure - that's a standard way. Read one of the many howtos.
> Windows+Linux, etc.
>
> > This seems a simpler route than the one for rebuilding grub, of which I have
> > read various different sets of instructions, and failed to understand which
> > one I need.
>
> Don't you just need to run setup (hd0) or sume such from the cmmand
> line?

I don't know. What does setup do?

As far as I can see most of grub seems to be in /boot/grub, but there must
be a bit in the mbr on a standard installation. I don't know how to restore
that bit after Windows has replaced the contents of the mbr.

> > (I suspect that will fail because it would require Windows to read an ext3
> > partition in order to hand over control. Is that right?)
>
> No it's not right. Why would it? The windows boot loader bots a linux
> boot loader that you save to the windows partition in a file, an that
> boots linux. Mind you, the linux boot loader doesn't read an "ext2/3"
> partition either! It just jumps to a specified location n disk an runs
> whatever it finds there.

Alternatively, if I can put a line in boot.ini which jumps to the
appropriate part of the appropriate disk, that will do me just fine. Any
idea what I need to put there, or how I find out?

> Anyway, why don't you just run loadlin.exe c:\boot\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5
> ... or whetever?
>
> > I have a bootable grub floppy. I don't understand how to use it.
>

> You put it in the credit card slot and reboot.

And then do what?

I'm relucatant to experiment with the commands offered while the system is
working, but I know once I repair Windows I may have to use it and get it
right - or reinstall Linux, which with the amount of knowledge I have, may
be easier.

> > Currently / is on hda7, Win98 is on hda1, WinXP is on hda5
>
> > menu.lst shows Ubuntu booting from (hd0,6)Windows from (hd0,0)
>
> > device.map contains just 2 lines
> > (hd0) \dev\hda
> > (hd1) \dev\hdb
>
> Hunky. So what's the problem? Where do you want to write the boot
> loader?

Presumably in the mbr of the first disk seen by the bios. What are the
commands to do that?

Alan

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • RE: [SLE] Need help recovering my Linux System
    ... >>would I want Windows on my other machine? ... I have the full backup of my old system on a usb disk ... I have never worked with setting up a usb connection on Linux. ... Windows partition ahead of both of my swap and my data partition. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Well, Windows is back on the disk.
    ... So your saying that Microsoft makes billions monthly because people DESIRE ... I am too fracking lazy to teach myself the intricacies of Linux. ... All of the WINDOWS operating systems and office products are upgradeable to the latest security fixes and bug fixes. ... OS problems overwrites all personal files on the disk. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Win98SE and fdsik.exe, will this properly reformat an hdd that has had Linux installed?
    ... Does this seem reasonable to restore Windows after a complete Linux ... An XP install disk contains all you need to install the OS. ... you must manually delete the partitions used by the Linux ...
  • Re: Graduate Teacher Programme - best way to approach it
    ... It is a de facto standard. ... aiming to teach transferable skills- so pupils can adapt to use applications ... Linux just happens to be the only viable competitor to Windows ...
    (uk.education.teachers)
  • Re: PcLinux
    ... Things don't adhere to standard conventions, ... and Linux compliance to those standards is ... you so often have to do in Windows programming, ... more from my VMS experience since VMS is the absolute opposite of all ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)