Re: Installation problems with PCLinuxOS

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:05:10 +0000, Tim Downie wrote:

imotgm wrote:

What does /etc/inittab look like? Might as well post /etc/fstab too.
Also, post the output of "fdisk -l /dev/sda" (without the quotes).

There you have me. I don't have a clue (yet) how to access these.

OK, Tim, you cracked me up with that one. :-)

How did you get your lilo.conf? If you got that, you should be able to get
inittab, and fstab, pretty much the same way. They're all in the /etc
directory. They're all plain text files, that you open in an editor. you
can make a text copy of the fdisk output by entering;

# fdisk -l /dev/sda > /home/guest/fdisk.txt <Enter>

That's a small "L", not a numeral 1, ( -l ) after fdisk.

Let's start at the beginning. Using the PCLinuxOS live CD, do you know how
to, mount a partition, call up a konsole window, open a text file with an
editor, (which edtor) set up Knode, or Thunderbird, for newsreading and
posting? In other words, what do you know how to do, with Linux? I have an
older PCLinuxOS on hard drive, and .92 burned to CD, although I haven't
tried it yet, so I don't know how much different it is from the older
version. If need be, I can boot to the live CD, so that I see what you
see, and give you a step by step, but you've got to put some effort into
this, to help me help you. Tell me what you do know.

--
imotgm
"Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  • Re: selling to different publishers?
    ... The generic phone number is generally answered ... the one keeping the submissions log, so the editor would just have to check ... you're worried that it's been lost in the return mail. ... and say you were just checking up on the Post Awful. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: dates in diff files?
    ... In learning to write patches for Nethack, ... includes the date and time in the headers. ... Your favorite editor is either vi or emacs, ... another system and you might have lost the modification date. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.nethack)
  • Re: troll: very text editor
    ... OK, I am lost also. ... Are you looking for an editor that already exists? ... I would suggest you look at the gtk-demo program that comes with GTK. ... basics: ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Microdrive in PCMCIA adaptor wont automount.
    ... how do I add sometihng to ... the pmount.allow lost? ... drive and adaptor into the card slot. ... The editor window appears. ...
    (Ubuntu)