Re: Installation problems with PCLinuxOS

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:05:10 +0000, Tim Downie wrote:

imotgm wrote:

What does /etc/inittab look like? Might as well post /etc/fstab too.
Also, post the output of "fdisk -l /dev/sda" (without the quotes).

There you have me. I don't have a clue (yet) how to access these.

OK, Tim, you cracked me up with that one. :-)

How did you get your lilo.conf? If you got that, you should be able to get
inittab, and fstab, pretty much the same way. They're all in the /etc
directory. They're all plain text files, that you open in an editor. you
can make a text copy of the fdisk output by entering;

# fdisk -l /dev/sda > /home/guest/fdisk.txt <Enter>

That's a small "L", not a numeral 1, ( -l ) after fdisk.

Let's start at the beginning. Using the PCLinuxOS live CD, do you know how
to, mount a partition, call up a konsole window, open a text file with an
editor, (which edtor) set up Knode, or Thunderbird, for newsreading and
posting? In other words, what do you know how to do, with Linux? I have an
older PCLinuxOS on hard drive, and .92 burned to CD, although I haven't
tried it yet, so I don't know how much different it is from the older
version. If need be, I can boot to the live CD, so that I see what you
see, and give you a step by step, but you've got to put some effort into
this, to help me help you. Tell me what you do know.

--
imotgm
"Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

.