Re: best way to run Windows apps in Linux?

question was: "with VMware can I use my Win partition
from Linux, or do I have to build a virtual machine in Linux and then
do a new Win install inside this V machine?"

It seems, from reading Douglas Mayne below and from other things I've
read in the meantime, that indeed you are right, I could use the Win
partition as a VM. However I've read it's tricky to set up and can do
damage to the system. So I'm more inclined to create a virtual machine
in the Linux partition. Another question: if I go this latter way, will
the Win VM see my hardware (microphone, webcam, wireless, etc.) that is
not functioning under my Linux?

  • Re: a few SuSE 10 Linux questions
    ... I'm not sure what you mean by "the windows part of the partition." ... Linux is able to read FAT and NTFS. ... Are you talking about running Linux on a virtual machine under ... Dual boot means that there is only one system running on the machine ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: LAMP Question
    ... Would you be able to recommend a virtual machine? ... VMware 5 workstation is awesome! ... air-card on Linux, so booting into Linux was ok as long as I could ... etc etc. I'd have to go boot back into Windows ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)
    ... >> The Linux boot floppy is a bit more tricky. ... So I tried adding cfdisk to a spare Debian Woody boot ... > I reduced all the partition sizes by a third. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Linux, XP, Win2003 Server multi-boot
    ... Go to PC magazine's web site and do a search on "partitioning for linux" to see articles and reviews about partitioning philosophy and tools. ... Tools are now available in many bootable CD based Linux distributions to resize the C: partition of your disk drive to make room for Linux. ... I finally got the new machine - it came with one of those 'recovery' disks - and a 5 gig recovery partition that isn't supposed to be deleted. ... Once I feel I have everything in order - always lose something when I get a new computer - I'll format that disk and install Linux & Win2003 on it I guess. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Linux Windows dual boot not restoring properly
    ... Linux is showing the Windows folders in its file manager under the name of what effectively was drive C. ... decreases that Windows partition size in order to make a partition ... And at startup, can scan the hard drives, for partition types it ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)