Re: best way to run Windows apps in Linux?

question was: "with VMware can I use my Win partition
from Linux, or do I have to build a virtual machine in Linux and then
do a new Win install inside this V machine?"

It seems, from reading Douglas Mayne below and from other things I've
read in the meantime, that indeed you are right, I could use the Win
partition as a VM. However I've read it's tricky to set up and can do
damage to the system. So I'm more inclined to create a virtual machine
in the Linux partition. Another question: if I go this latter way, will
the Win VM see my hardware (microphone, webcam, wireless, etc.) that is
not functioning under my Linux?

.