Re: Grub boots from command line but not menu

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:46:27 -0800, andrew.bell.ia wrote:

Hi,

When I try to boot one my slackware partition with grub from the menu,
it fails -- I get a "can't mount root filesystem" error. If the same
commands are typed into the command line, it works like a champ.
Commands are:

root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 ro

I've got a puppy linux partition on (hd0,1) which boots fine.

Any ideas appreciated.

-- Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia@gmail

One possible answer: A syntax error in menu.lst (or grub.conf).

Because you are using two different distro's also check that they expect
the same configuration file. Some distros use grub.conf, some use menu.lst.

Another possible answer:
grub is actually installed on the distro with puppy, but not for
slackware. This error might be generated if your configuration marks
_its_ root partition to a partition where it has never been installed.

Post your configuration file.

--
Douglas Mayne

.