Re: Grub boots from command line but not menu

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:46:27 -0800, andrew.bell.ia wrote:

Hi,

When I try to boot one my slackware partition with grub from the menu,
it fails -- I get a "can't mount root filesystem" error. If the same
commands are typed into the command line, it works like a champ.
Commands are:

root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 ro

I've got a puppy linux partition on (hd0,1) which boots fine.

Any ideas appreciated.

-- Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia@gmail

One possible answer: A syntax error in menu.lst (or grub.conf).

Because you are using two different distro's also check that they expect
the same configuration file. Some distros use grub.conf, some use menu.lst.

Another possible answer:
grub is actually installed on the distro with puppy, but not for
slackware. This error might be generated if your configuration marks
_its_ root partition to a partition where it has never been installed.

Post your configuration file.

--
Douglas Mayne

  • Re: Getting to DOS with Grub -- is my linux box fried?!
    ... even the grub> prompt should be smart enough to redirect your grub ... snippet in the mbr to the dos partition. ... suspect the same commands would apply to your case, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Grub error 17
    ... I tried to reinstall grub using the ... commands and then I will explain them later) ... then you would enter root ... Did you format a partition, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: GRUB: hide/unhide
    ... > Using hide/unhide in grub is a hassle ... The simplest method is to have commands to hide every partition you ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [SLE] Grub Question ?
    ... >> my Win XP Pro from the Grub menu. ... I need to boot ... See the 'makeactive' and 'hide' commands of grub. ... > partitioning utilities in w98 and wxp to change the active partition, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Howto fix grub after converting to reiserfs
    ... The initial load of grub is done by the BIOS, which reads the boot sectors for additional information for the boot process. ... If you still have problems, and can come up with a small bit of additional disk space, near the beginning of the disk, create a separate partition for /boot and format it as ext3, move all the files from your existing subdirectory into this new partition, edit the menu.lst file to remove all references to '/boot', edit fstab to do a mount of this partition on /boot, and reboot. ... it will perform a full install presuming the Stage 2 or Stage 1.5^10 is in its final install location. ... 0, Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x16 ...
    (Debian-User)