Re: can I run linux from a CD, without installing it?

<xian_hong2046@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks to all of your replies! I'm using a laptop, which makes it
harder to get another harddisk. USB harddrive is a solution that I'll
consider. On the other hand, is it a lot slower to access a USB drive?

Thanks,
xian

Most people are price sensative. When they find out how much SPEED
costs, they ususally say "well, I don't need that much speed". You can
get a new USB external box and stick a used 20G hd in it for under $50
just for experimental stuff and education.

later.....

  • Re: New Macs & SCSI Card?
    ... 30% slower in total throughput. ... performance I've seen with USB 2.0 is around 28 MB/s (sustained ... slower on PPC Macs than on Intel Macs. ... Which iPod models do you have? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: image copying drive through USB?
    ... One downside with it is that its a hell of a lot slower to clone a drive than TI. ... BING does see the USB drive. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: External Hard drive purchase ?
    ... I Run Xp pro SP2 my USB Hub is 1.1 ... Most advertise USB 2.0 I believe this ... should be ok for my 1.1 Hub but things would backup more slower. ... some form of small back up at cheap pensioner cost would be ideal. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Sony videocam w/ USB
    ... successfully used it to pull raw video data from a Sony camcorder via USB. ... It's slower than the firewire connection on my laptop, but it still works pretty well. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Scanner recommendation
    ... make Firewire actually faster than USB: ... FAR slower. ... since few drives on the market can burst above FW800, ...
    (comp.periphs.scanners)