difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel

I've installed a version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.2 and now am try-
ing to add filesystem module support for HPFS, so it could read/write
to my OS/2 files. After making the appropriate modyfication to .CONFIG
using MAKE XCONFIG, I issued the commands (using upper case here only
for clarity)

MAKE MRPROPER
MAKE CLEAN
MAKE BZIMAGE

This is where the problem appears, as the last command produces the
message

[/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-22.0.1.EL-i686]# make bzImage
CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h
UPD include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h
/bin/sh: arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h.tmp': No such file or directory
make: *** [include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h] Error 1

and indeed I can't find a file containing 'offsets' anywhere. I'd ap-
preciate suggestions for what my next steps should be.

Also, I've found on the Internet over half a dozen sets of directions
and HOWTOs on recompiling the kernel, and they all have somewhat diffe-
rent instructions. Maybe some are outdated. What would you recommend
as a good, up-to-date, reliable reference book accessible by a lay user?

Thanks for the help.

- Dushan Mitrovich

  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... ing to add filesystem module support for HPFS, ... to my OS/2 files. ... do not change the case of the linux commands as ... McCarty's 'Learning Red Hat Linux', which is quite good tho dated and not ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... ing to add filesystem module support for HPFS, ... to my OS/2 files. ... do not change the case of the linux commands as ... "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: File system corrupted and fsck would not help
    ... Maurits van de Kamp enlightened us with: ... at least he could give the exact commands. ... read/write. ... The problem with the world is stupidity. ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: attach to process by pid?
    ... I think he wants to attach to another process's stdin/stdout and ... read/write from/to them. ... commands from python to an application that is already running. ...
    (comp.lang.python)